Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janez6ny

RECIPE: Kitchenaid mixer question?

JaneZ6NY
19 years ago

When mixing batter for a cake using zest (orange or lemon) in the batter, the zest clumps on the paddle and I have to scrape it off and mix it in by hand. It will not mix in the batter. This is annoying and I've never had this problem with any other mixer. Anyone have this problem? Thanks, Jane

Comments (31)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I think the only time I've added zest to the batter I've folded it inby hand after removing it from the Kitchenaid. Wonder why it does that?

• readinglady
    19 years ago

I was just thinking, what if you tossed the lemon zest with a bit of flour before adding it to the batter (on the same principle as blueberries) or added the lemon zest with the dry ingredients?

I wish I'd tried this myself before. The zest is so high in oils, even stirred in by hand it tends to clump.

• MissKittieTX
    19 years ago

Readinglady, I was going to suggest the same thing. Hum,,,,I guess there are somethings even the Kitchenaid can't do.
    Miss Kittie

• readinglady
    19 years ago

"Some things the KitchenAid can't do." :) Not many, fortunately. Especially in canning season that KA is a real workhorse. I've sliced, shredded, ground green tomatoes for chow chow, seeded raspberries for jam and made mountains of cookies and cakes. It's over 30 years old and I swear they'll have to bury me with it. I got a new Bosch a year ago (more capacity) but I just cannot bring myself to let go of my trusty old KitchenAid.

Carol

• JaneZ6NY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I can't believe I'm the only one this happened to. I wonder if somethings wrong with the machine. My family loves The Barefoot Contessa lemon pound cake in which theres quite a bit of zest both in the batter and icing. I did try adding it both ways, with dry and with liquid. It also did it while making a carrot cake and I had to scrape all the carrot off the paddle. It's a large cake receipe so I use the K.A. Oh Well, I guess it's back to the hand beaters. Thanks, Jane

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I'd love to have the lemon pound cake recipe if you wouldn't mind posting it. Maybe it uses a lot more zest than the recipes I've made.

• readinglady
    19 years ago

I've had to do a certain amount of scraping; it's inevitable that some shreds will adhere. But it sounds as if you are experiencing enough of a problem to make it really inconvenient. Are the beaters sticky? I don't mean you don't clean them, but I'm wondering if something has reacted with the coating. What if you oiled the beaters to reduce sticking? This might also be worth calling the KitchenAid people on. I checked the KitchenAid site but didn't find anything that fits your issue. However, they do offer an email link and a form to describe your problem. I've included the link below. Don't give up; let us know how it goes.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Customer Support Email

• lulashoo
    19 years ago

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I have something to contribute!

Here is the recipe for the Barefoot Contessa's lemon cake:

Lemon Cake

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
    2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
    1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the glaze
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    3 1/2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.

2. Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.

3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

4. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

5. For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

• JaneZ6NY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

As you can see the zest is added with the eggs. I have also tried adding the zest with the dry ingredients. The paddle is very greasy at that point from creaming the butter. The zest shouldn't stick. This cake is great. It makes two cakes which are very tart. If you love lemons you will love it. It's a bit of work, and it doesn't last long. Freezes well also. Thanks for all the suggestions and Carol, I'm going to try their site and send an email. Maybe it's the machine. Jane

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Thanks for posting that. It sound wonderful. That's a lot of lemon zest, which I love. I'd like to hear what KitchenAid has to say, too.

• JaneZ6NY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Heard back from Kitchenaid. They are of no help. They suggested using the whisk attachment. Already tried that and same thing happened but harder to work with. Try to get all the zest out of the wisk. Will try adding the zest on the side of the bowl, although I don't think that will work either. I have mixed it by hand thoroughly and then added the paddle and it attrached all the zest again. Thanks again, Jane

• readinglady
    19 years ago

Linda, I am so sorry to hear you got so little satisfaction. Since nothing seems to be working, what about stirring in the lemon zest at the end when you're done mixing and removing the bowl. I usually do a bit of hand-stirring then anyway so at least it would minimize the extra effort.

Carol

• lisbet
    19 years ago

I think most recipes suggest mixing the zest well into sugar, before adding the sugar. I rub the zest into the dry sugar with my fingers to make sure that it is well distributed.

• caliloo
    19 years ago

Hmmmm..... maybe you could chop the lemon zest into smaller strings? Or mix it in on a slower speed?

I have never had this problem with my KA mixer.

Alexa

• chilloway
    19 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm new here. Usually on the nature side & computers. Just thought I would say that my KA does the same thing. I have found that if I put the zest, etc. in last and mix it slowly - it doesn't happen. Hope that helps. Debbie

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Debbie, you may be right.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

I use the Boyajian oils when I want evenly distributed, power packed flavor. This stuff is POTENT. Anyone else have experience with these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Boyajian citrus oils

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I've heard of them but how do you know how much to use? Half the amount of extract called for in a recipe???

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

Ginger, I use them very, very sparingly. For a standard sized dish I would usually put in literally three drops.

• readinglady
    19 years ago

Jessy, I've also used their oils, and I agree that with them less is definitely more. Sometimes even just a drop added to an existing recipe is enough to make that perfect difference.

Carol

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

OK, Jessy that little link you provided cost me $36.50. Thanks (I think.)
    Citrus Oil Set
    Mint Flavoring Set
    Asian Oil Set

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

Oh Ginger, I just picked up some 1 oz bottles from Cost Plus, with the intention of sending you one bottle as a sample!!!! Too late to cancel the order? If yes, don't worry, you'll be happy!

• readinglady
    19 years ago

Wow! This may be expensive. I need to check that Asian oil set you mentioned.

Carol

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Aww, thanks Jessy but I'll keep the order coming. It's probably too late. I'm sure the stuff is good & I look forward to recipes they'll send. Thanks again, though.

• JaneZ6NY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Guess what? I just made Emeril's coconut layer cake and the same thing happened BIG TIME with the dried coconut the receipe called for. It's the dry, unsweetened, very fine coconut. It became a huge lump in the batter. I ran the machine on slow and added it last for just a minute. The paddle was filled with it in one large ball. I had to scrape it all off and finish mixing by hand. It was a nightmare because the coconut was clumped and difficult to separate evenly in the batter. Guess I'm just picking receipes that KA is not built for. Thanks again, Jane

• arandygail
    19 years ago

Jane--I don't have a solution, but the same thing happens with lemon zest AND coconut with my mixer. I just have to add them by hand at the end.

• Dee1
    19 years ago

I was watching Emeril Live and the same thing happened to him with the lemon zest and the Kitchen Aid. Strange isn't it?

• JaneZ6NY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think it's a design fault and they pretend they don't know about it. I did leave them an email regarding it. Jane

• bakingchick
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I am a KA newbie. It's still in the box. I grew up with a hand mixer but am a serious baker around the holidays. Giada and Contessa made it look so easy that I treated myself and bought the 5qt.
    I found this post while looking for a carrot cake recipe for the KA. I have the shredder attachment and don't know if I should buy big carrots or small, and if it shreds them real fine and good.. After reading your posts I guess I'll mix the carrot and coconut in by hand. I was thinking of using my old BH&G RedBook carrot cake recipe which calls for coconut, pineapple, carrots, raisins and walnuts. Any advice on how to proceed with carrot cake is welcome. Oh! And -should I run the parts thru the dishwasher after I take it out of the packaging or rinse it with hot water only?
    I'll check in later,gotta run to work.. ;)

Dee

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for the receipe!! I love lemon!!! Neighbor's tree hangs over in my yard! Can't wait to try it!! I have newer KA & it grabs the zest also or used my New Sunbeam & did same thing. Sure like old Hamilton Beach & KA better. The KA after you get to about 5 I think is all the same speed, I don't hear it going up like before so may be a problem making divinity at xmas. Dee, size of carrots shouldn't matter as much as taste but to be on safe side I'd go with smaller carrots so shredder won't have to work so hard. I never had a problem with carrots sticking with old KA but haven't tried it with this 1. Oh, doesn't book say what to use on carrots. Wash mixer parts with soap & water people have handled them & they are oiled also. Good Luck! Jan

• Rusty
    15 years ago

How are you zesting your lemons? Perhaps if the zest were finer, it wouldn't stick to the paddle quite as much? Some zesters and graters produce rather large pieces. I recently purchased one of those zesters that looks almost like a carpenter's file, & the zest it produces is very fine. Very little stuck to the paddle of my KA.