Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowball_47

RECIPE: cake question

snowball
15 years ago

my daughter is getting married and wants me to make her cake. She asked if we could put cinnamon in white cake and have it taste good. She says that a spice cake is just too spicy but wants the flavor of cinnamon. I got wondering if it would be better to use cinnamon oil instead of ground cinnamon. I also told her that we would make one and see how it tastes. Any ideas thoughts ?

sheila

Comments (16)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I think that is pretty tall order!! I made wedding & other cakes for 20 yrs & never a white cinnamon. I have a Buttermilk spice cake or Applesauce cake or Choc cake you could add more cinnamon to but that's about it. Maybe someone else has some ideas. I used to get "Mailbox News" a national cake decorating magazine that was great before they started having all the receipes with their products & I like "from scratch". The white buttermilk cake has lemon & vanilla in it,not good match with cinnamon. Good Luck Hope someone has the answer!! Jan

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I think of cinnamon (which I love) more as a coffee cake ingredient but maybe a wedding cake would be good. I don't have a cinnamon cake recipe but found this one you could play around with. It's for a layer cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon cake

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'm going to try the cake & see how it is. First I ever heard of a cinnamon cake. Cinnamon comes from 2 different plants I read somewhere & 1 is stronger than the other & I think the strong 1 is more expensive so it certainly needs to be tested. A cream cheese icing is pretty soft for wedding cake & usually is somewhat yellow from butter so if you do use it find a light colored butter. Don't see vanilla in receipe-forgot to look at frosting, if it calls for any use the clear vanilla or it will make icing ivory or even yellow. I thought strawberry cake was nuts until I tried singer Sonny James receipe for it in Lipscomb Cookbook. Wonderful so now I'll try most receipes to see if they are a keeper. Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I made the cake. It is cinnamon flavored but you wonder what is missing (brown sugar & spices or applesauce) The cake is light spice colored & doesn't rise much at all. I just bought BP so that is not the problem. It is not a cake for decorating. If you used a good white cake receipe & added oil of cinn. I think people would react same as I did, what's missing? Just don't think it is doable. Does she like choc, could add cinnamon to good choc cake & frost with white icing. Make a choc groom's cake. I have good redeipe's for Kentucky Butter cake,White Buttermilk cake, Choc. Buttermilk cake, Applesauce Wedding cake. All 4 are excellent "hold together" cakes made for decorating & all from scratch from people that sent their best receipes to "Mailbox News" in Minn,MN. This is where Maid of Scandinavia Co is located. I took a course in cake decorating there when Delores Meyers was the decorator. It was wonderful!! Sorry I'm not much help.Jan

• lindac
    15 years ago

I wouldn't add oil of cinnamon...it has a harsh flavor to me.
    I would look for a butter cake and add cinnamon....about 1/2 tsp per layer, and don't forget to add pure vanilla.
    I think the flavor you are wanting is sort of like cinnamon toast.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: butter cake

• snowball
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everyone was a lot of help!! Thank you so much I personally wasn't able to access the recipe so was very glad for your imput.
    Would you mind posting the recipes Jan? Personally I was very surprised that my daughter wanted a cinnamon cake. Not sure where she got the idea...maybe her boyfriend?
    Thanks again for all your help
    Sheila

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Kentucky Butter Cake 1 c butter 2 c sugar 4 eggs 1 c buttermilk (real buttermilk) 2 tsp vanilla 3 c flour 1tsp.baking powder 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp soda Cream butter well add sugar cream well, add eggs 1 at a time Add buttermilk alternately with dry ing. Bake at 350degrees for 30 min. in 9x13 pan or 2 9 in round pans. April "Mailbox News" page 44 Audrey Allen NH & Pauline Bogush Conn sent this in. I've used for yrs.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake 1 c butter 2 c sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 3 c Gold Medal flour 1/2 c cocoa 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 2 c buttermilk (real not powdered or made with vinegar) Beat butter cream in sugar add eggs 1 at a time, add vanilla,alternate dry ing, with buttermilk Bake at 350 degrees 7 1/2 cups batter get 2-8 in layers & 1 6 in. Anne Henry from Mississippi was spotlighted in the May 1982 issue of "Mailbox News" the National cake decorating magazine. I've used this one a lot also.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Applesauce cake- 1 1/2 c sugar 1/2 c butter 2 eggs 2 c flour 1 1/2 tsp. soda 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cloves 1 1/2 c applesauce 3/4 c raisins (optional) 3/4 c nuts (pecans or walnuts)toasted 2 t flour for raisins if you use them. Cream sugar & butter well add eggs,beat well alternate dry ing. with applesauce toss rains with flour if using & add nuts .Bake 350 degrees I didn't write how long, start checking after 30 min. She did it in bundt pan for 1 hr but I used cake pans 2 in high straight sided I greased lightly & flour & add parchment circle or sq. in bottom of pans. All 4 receipes are meant for cake decorating, This is a May 1980 receipe in "Mailbox News" by Mrs. Henry Blasi of Mich. These are receipes I've used for yrs but i think the ladies who "gave" them to me deserve to be honored!! Now to find the last 1. I'm posting seperate as I never know when I will erase myself & I'm not the best typist.Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

White Buttermilk Cake 1 c Crisco shortening 3 c sugar 2 c buttermilk (real-not powdered or made with vinegar) 4 c cake flour 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp lemon 1 1/2 tsp vanilla(real) 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp soda 6 egg whites beaten well Mix Crisco & sugar until light & fluffy,add salt soda, b.powder, flavorings alternate dry with buttermilk.Mix well &Fold in the egg whites that are well beaten by hand gently (don't want to remove the air from them) Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minute if in 3 9 in. prepared pans. 1 1/2 receipe of this makes 1-12in & 2 6in cakes These are the regular wedding cake pans by Wilton or others. I included some of that as it is hard to know how much batter you need. Miss Jeanette Starkebaum of Missouri Gave this receipe to "Mailbox News" Jan 1977 issue page31. Hope you enjoy these cakes as much as I have!! Good Luck!! Oh, my Buttercream Icing I posted in the Question about whipped icing but not too airy. It is wonderful with the choc.icing also.Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I use exactly what i have written here, I don't change any ingredients except I went to butter instead of Crisco in applesauce 1 as healthier. Cakes are not health food as we all know.LOL Can't change out Crisco on white cake but healthier than stuff used in most bakeries (like lard almost) Real Vanilla, Lemon is Lemon extract. Flour is always Gold Meal (Pillsbery gives different results) yes cake flour is used in the white cake & eggs must be beaten well almost like you are making divinity so they are standing up!! If the humidity is too great eggs won't whip up. I use whip on KItchenAid on high. Sunbeam will get there also (not sure on new 1 as it doesn't seem to go as high as old 1(died last xmas in middle of all my candy making!!)Hamilton Beach served me well for 30 some yrs. Then my KitchenAid croaked in March dad couldn't fix, motor shot(1 too many cakes??????) Anyway get those egg whites standing tall & stiff & gently fold in for a wonderful white cake!! My fingers are tired. Good nite! Jan

• Rusty
    15 years ago

May I butt in here? I, too, am a nut for cinnamon. While I haven't tried this, I'm thinking maybe a traditional white cake with the traditional white icing, and a cinnamon filling between the layers? To me, it sounds doable and good (think cinnamon rolls), but would have to try it first to be sure. I love to experiment with my baking, and often try unheard of things. Some turn out good, some don't.

• Hellion
    15 years ago

I have not made this, but it got rave reviews at the Taste of Home recipe boards. It is in my "to try" file.

Snickerdoodle Cake

Preheat oven to 350*F, and generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.

1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
    1 cup whole milk (I used skim and it turned out fine!)
    8 TB (1 stick) butter, melted (use REAL butter!)
    3 large eggs (whites and yolks, donÂt separate!)
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)

Place cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for one minute. Stop machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well combined. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pans in the oven side by side.

Bake the cakes until they are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 27-29 minutes. Remove from oven and place pans on wire racks to cool for ten minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert them again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow them to cool completely, 30 minutes more. Meanwhile, prepare the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. Place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter. Spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer, right side up, on top of the first layer and frost the top and sides of the cake with clean, smooth strokes.

Place this cake, uncovered, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. Cover the cake with waxed paper and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

ÂMakes 3.5 cups, enough to frost a 2 or 3 layer cake

8 TB (1 stick) butter, at room temperature (use REAL butter!)
    3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted (I never sift anything and it turns out fineÂ)
    3-4 TB milk
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the confectioners sugar, 3 TB milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more. Blend in up to 1 TB milk if the frosting seems too stiff.

Use to frost the top and sides of the cake of your choice.

• snowball
    Original Author
    15 years ago

for some reason I didn't get notice of the lastest postings till the very last one. I'm afraid that I'll seem ungreatfull. Do really appreciate all of the information given am going to try the last recipe today. Will use the cake mix I have but do have a question it is a Betty Crocker super moist. So hard to find plain cake mixes wall mart usually but this one didn't have any. So guess the question I have is what is plain?
    Sheila

• snowball
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tried the Snickerdoodle cake not bad do wonder though if it would be stong enough? Seems somewhat crumbly daughter thought it wasn't cinnomony enough
    it was good not sure if it would work as a wedding cake
    thanks
    sheila

• Hellion
    15 years ago

as I said, I had never tried it, but it does not seem as though it should have been crumbly with butter and milk in it. Any white cake mix should work, even super moist.