Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: looking for: almond bars/soft biscotti

Posted by plumbly22 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 20:49

My local Italian Bakery carries cookies they call Alomond Bars, they come in Vanilla and Chocolate. They look like a biscotti, a little shorter, and SOFT and chewy. They are awesome.

Does anyone here have a similar sounding recipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: looking for: almond bars/soft biscotti

Ask the bakery what the Italian name is. Maybe it's the one below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tourrigini

o

This may be more like what you have had. It isn't twice baked like the previous recipe and has a little less sugar and a little less flour making it less dense. One of the secrets of this kind of cookie is to chop the almonds..not to a powder or teeny pieces, but enough to release some of the nut oils which makes for a dough that is easier to mix. I'm not a big fan of almond extract, so I have cut back some, this recipe called for more...and you may like that really almond-ey taste, so add another teaspoon or two.
Linda C
Almond Slices
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs -- beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons almond extract
3 cups almonds -- chopped
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon -- optional

Mix all together, shape into flattened logs, brush top with beaten eggs (not those included in recipe). Bake 350 degrees for 19 - 25 min. (watch carefully). Cut while warm.

o

Where is the previous recipe twice baked?

o

Maybe Linda was seeing double.

o

Ginger, that recipe sounds good, the almonds are toasted, so it will give a better flavor than the recipe that doesn't call for toasting them. Makes all the difference in the world.

Not sure what recipe Lindac was referring to, either, maybe my computer doesn't show all the posts.

o

Thanks ... I'll try these both and see if either are close... I a never thought about asking for the Italian name for them... that may help too!

o

If your oven is hot, cook it a little less time than called for to get softer bars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here