Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Greek Honey-Walnut Cake

Posted by Roselin32 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 03 at 20:33

I really do keep walnuts in the freezer because I like this cake.
1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cloves
3/4 c milk
1/3 c shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 c walnuts, finely chopped
Combine all ingredients except for walnuts. Beat on low speed til wll blended, then high for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 9" square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or til tests done.
Honey Syrup:
1/4c water
1/4c sugar
1/4c honey
1 tsp lemon juice.
Combine water and sugar-bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in honey and lemon. Pour over warm cake.
RL`

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Greek Honey-Walnut Cake

Have you ever frozen this? It sounds good & I like one layer cakes. (Not too much for just a few people.)

o

No, have never frozen it-don't know how it would do with the syrup on it. Besides,it doesn't last very long here.
RL`

o

Sounds good for here, too. The walnuts are falling off the trees as we speak. I can pick up all I want from the street I live on. The street is lined with walnut trees.
Ginger, I would imagine you could freeze the cake fine and then just thaw and warm. Maybe undercook the cake by about 5-10 min. and finish baking. Then make sauce as directed.
Just a thought.

o

Lisa, welcome home-post any of your T of H recipes here or on the RE-lots of us like them!!
RL`

o

Oh, I'll just bake it & probably eat the whole thing over the weekend I make it. I always have a friend who'll help.

o

thanks, Roselin. I appreciate it.
Lisa

o

I shelled walnuts this morning to make this cake and ate them before I got around to making it. Now I have to shell some more. LOL
Lisa

o

Way to go, Lisa-but it's okay since the food police are now saying that walnuts are healthy! LOL
RL`

o

Man, do you know how much work it is to get enough walnuts for a cup???? LOL
Lisa

o

Yeah, but at least yours are free!

o

Well, there is that perk! ROFL

o

This sounds very good and I'll be trying it soon. One question: do you remove the cake from the pan before pouring the honey syrup on it, or just pour the syrup into the pan?

o

Hi Barbara!
I made this again last night and I just leave it in the pan. Am sure you could do it either way. My husband loves it as it is so nice and moist. Hope you like it too.
RL`

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here