Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Anyone remember this? Russian Cream

Posted by Ginger_St_Thomas (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 03 at 18:18

I'd forgotten all about this one. I use to make it all the time around 15-20 years ago. First time I served it at a dinner party, one wag said "Oh good, a bowl of lard." He sure ate all of it though.

RUSSIAN CREAM (serves 8)
2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
1 cup sugar
2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups sour cream

In a small saucepan over medium high heat combine cream & sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3-4 minutes.
In a glass measuring cup stir together gelatin & water until gelatin has softened. Pour into cream mixture & stir over medium heat until gelatin is fully dissolved (if you rub a bit between your fingers, you shouldn't feel the gelatin grains.) Pour into a serving bowl or mold & refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.~~
I served it with fresh strawberries but fresh peach slices would be excellent. I think it was also called by some other nationalities, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Anyone remember this? Russian Cream

I remember that but hope you aren't inviting "wags" to your dinner parties anymore! LOL
RL`

o

I hadn't heard of it, Ginger. I will surely try it. Sounds really interesting.

o

Marlen, you will like it-a nice light dessert after a big meal.
RL`

o

Ginger,
I will have to try this. I got some fresh peachs left over from canning. I had got 3 cases plus about half of another.
Ihave never hard of it either.
Ilene

o

Russian Cream sounds a lot like a favourite of my family-

Panna Cotta
We particularly like this with sliced fresh peaches poached in cinnamon sugar syrup

20 fl oz cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup caster/superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tsp gelatine
1/2 cup water
sliced fresh summer fruit- strawberries, nectarines, plums, peaches, mangoes etc

Place the sugar, cream and milk into a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar is melted. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and melt in the microwave for 45 seconds. Add to cream mixture, whisk well then strain through a fine sieve into a jug.
Pour into six 1/2-cup moulds or teacups, place on a tray and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or up to 3 days.
Wet fingers and gently ease away from the sides of the mould. Dip in hot water then invert onto a plate. Remove the mould and serve chilled with fruit.

o

Many years ago, my Mom use to make something similar called 'Bavarian Cream'. I can still taste it.

Sue

o

Ginger, what do you do with the sour cream?
Lisa

o

That wasn't clear, was it? You mix it in after you've combined the gelatin with the cream mixture, Lisa.

o

I make flat pans of traditional jello and cube it. Put the colored cubes in a mold and pour the cooled white (Russian) jello over it, chill and unmold. Looks like a stained glass window! I'm using yello, pink and orange cubes for Easter. Use a bit extra gelatin for molding purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here