Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: Worth repeating - Gingerbread

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

I've posted this before but made it again this past weekend & since fall is approaching:

GINGERBREAD

1 1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp sinnamon

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or shortening (margarine would work)

1 egg, well beaten

3 TBL molasses

1 tsp baking soda

1 scant tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with a bit of vinegar)

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, sugar, ginger & cinnamon. Cut in butter or shortening. Reserve 1/3 cup of this crumbled mixture for topping. Add beaten egg to flour mixture. Stir in molasses. Dissolve soda & salt in buttermilk. Add to the other mixture. Pour into a greased 9" pan, sprinkle w/the reserved topping & bake 30 minutes.~~

Serve with whipped cream.

Comments (36)

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

Mmmmmm - that's making me hungry. I've had gingerbread with lemon sauce, too, & that was pretty good. Gosh - bet it's been 15 years since I've had gingerbread, period. That would be a good dessert this weekend.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I made one a couple of weeks ago-mine uses hot water. But since I do like buttermilk and always have it on hand........do you ever serve it with a lemon sauce? That is how my mother always did it. (I bet you could still use your whipped cream, Ginger!)
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This is more like a cake but lemon sauce would be good with it. I just always use whipped cream. It's a very tender cake, too.

• Bethintokyo
    20 years ago

In Elisabeth Lampert Ortiz's Caribbean Cookbook she has a very similar recipe. She uses evaporated milk, and suggests adding some chopped crystallised ginger. I make it sometimes and it's wonderful!

Beth

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Ginger,
    This really sounds good. I have one but i don't think that is like yours. I have to look latter. I have to get ready i am taling a friend of mine out for her birthday. It was last Friday.
    IS there a diffrence in the powder buttermilk then the buttermilk in the plastic jars.
    Ilene

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I made a cake with powdered buttermilk & it was a cake I had made before lots of times. I didn't like it. Other people have had good luck with it though. Just curdle some regular milk with about 1 to 1 1/2 tsp vinegar. I know that works with this.

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

I feel the same way i think when the powder is gone i will go back to the real butter milk. I like it with corn bread.
    Ilene

• eliza_ann
    20 years ago

Gingerbread is one of DH's favourites,but have always had it with whipped cream.I'd love to try it with lemon sauce.Anyone have the recipe?

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This one's an oldie:
    LEMON SAUCE
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL lemon juice
    Nutmeg
    Salt
    2 TBL butter
    1 cup boiling water
    Grated lemon zest

Mix the sugar & cornstarch; add the boiling water & a pinch of salt & boil until thick & clear. Continue cooking over hot water in a a double boiler for 20 minutes. Beat in the butter, the lemon juice & nutmeg. Stir in grated lemon zest.~~

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ginger, my recipe for the lemon sauce is the same as yours but if there is someone else out there that wants a lower fat recipe, ours works well without the butter-not the SAME but acceptable!
    RL`

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Found this one today:
    1 egg, beaten
    1c sugar
    juice of 2 lemons
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    1T butter
    Combine egg, sugar, lemon juice, and rind in a saucepan over low heat. Cook until thickened,stirring constantly. Add butter and stir til melted.
    RL`

• ann_t
    20 years ago

The Gingerbread recipe that I use is similar and sometimes I serve it with lemon sauce and sometimes with this caramel sauce:

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Caramel Sauce
    =============
    Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    . Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over {{gwi:1497330}}, apple pie and icecream, warm
    gingerbread, etc..

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

If it's the one you posted on Eileen's thread, it's not that similar.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Well, I like gingerbread and I like caramel sauce but the two together just don't float my boat like the whipping cream and lemon sauce.
    RL`

• lorijean44
    20 years ago

Roselin, maybe you need a new boat!! LOL

My great-grandmother used to make a gingerbread with a caramel sauce. It was really decadent. Grandma Maude was known for her delicious desserts - they were the talk of the town she lived in!!

Ginger, I did a side-by-side comparison of your gingerbread recipe and the one Ann T. posted on the Thanksgiving Dessert thread - they're pretty similar! I'm guessing that most gingerbread recipes are pretty close in their ingredients. Both sound pretty good to me!

Lori

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I did too, Lori. Ann's uses boiling water, mine uses buttermilk. She uses brown sugar, I use white. There's a difference in the quantity of butter & hers uses more molasses.
    I don't use nutmeg & use more ginger in mine. Mine has a struesel topping, hers doesn't. Most other gingerbreads have a dense crumb & would go well with caramel topping. Mine is more a tender type & is light textured which IMO a whipped cream topping would be better with MINE.

• lorijean44
    20 years ago

Thanks for pointing out the differences, Ginger! I didn't realize that Ann's recipe was a denser, moister cake! Perfect for that caramel topping I like!

Lori

• roselin32
    20 years ago

My boat is just fine, Lori-and guess we just don't all like the same thing, huh??
    Thanks for your concern though.
    RL`

• lorijean44
    20 years ago

You're welcome, Roselin. ;-)

Lori

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You're welcome, Lori. I'm sure you would like the more traditional gingerbread like Ann's.

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

Ann T, do you use light or dark brown sugar in your caramel sauce? (I'm guessing light brown.) Thx.

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Virginia, I have made it with both, but I usually use the light brown because I always have it on hand.

Ann

• 3katz4me
    18 years ago

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was looking for something to have with an Asian meal - I don't really care for Asian desserts but my usual dessert fare didn't seem right with the rest of the menu. Came upon this and it was perfect - everyone loved it - with whipped cream. I've never made gingerbread and never would have thought of it but it is definitely something I'll make again.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for bringing this back up. I haven't made it in a long time but might do it this weekend. Glad you liked it, Gibby!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

OMG, this was too funny and a little sad. Guess I missed it the first time.

What ever happened to Bethintokyo and didn't I hear that Ilene was banned for some foolishness? Apparently she got caught in someone's web.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not sad but very funny. No idea what happened to Beth or Ilene, CindyMac.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Oh, I thought you might know about Ilene.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know what you're trying to imply but I have no clue where Ilene is or what happened to her. The only thing I heard was someone was nasty to her & she left. It sure wasn't me if that's the case but I don't even know if that's true or not. Now just what is it you're hinting about?

• jenn
    18 years ago

I LOVE gingerbread, too bad Hubby isn't crazy about it. My dad likes it too. I like it warm with a lemon sauce on top. Thank you for sharing these recipes.

Jen

• Shirley
    18 years ago

Ginger, I seem to recall you posted a recipe for a three ginger gingerbread a few years ago, but I am not able to find my copy. Would you be good enough to share again?
    Thanks so much!
    Shirley

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Ginger, I wasn't implying anything. I thought she was your friend. Was just reminded that her post on Fahrenheit 9/11 apparently become fodder for someone looking to create trouble.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I haven't seen her around here in ages & never heard of a Fahrenheit 911 post.

Shirley, I can't find it but I'm still looking. Check the one below. The one above is the one I make when I get a craving now but I'll keep looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple ginger cake

• Shirley
    18 years ago

Ginger, thanks a bunch for this one, it looks good! I am such a ginger person...I buy handfuls from the Thai store and make crystallised ginger which I eat like candy, ginger syrup and ground ginger. Can't have too much ginger in the world! ;D
    Thanks again,
    Shirley

• nancylouise5me
    18 years ago

Morning ladies, my family wants to make a gingerbread house this Christmas. This may be a dumb question but...is there a different recipe to use for GB houses than there is for the cake type of gingerbread. The GB that is used for houses seems flatter and more stiff. Thanks for any help. NancyLouise

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Nancy. The gingerbread house recipe is a whole other thing. Check the link below to get an idea. I've never made one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gingerbread houses

• nancylouise5me
    18 years ago

Thanks for the link Ginger, our local library is having a GB house making contest for the holiday fair. It all has to be edible except for the base it sits on. The kids want to enter and it sounds like a fun project for the family. Take care, NancyLouise

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz