Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Black Cakes

Posted by Lisa_in_Germany (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 25, 03 at 17:30

Was intrigued by the black cake recipes so went searching online. Ginger, do either of these sound authentic? They appear to have a lot more fruit in them than the other one posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Black Cakes

Yeah, it does. Every old recipe down here varied so much because of availability of ingredients. It wouldn't surprise me about the Manishevitz wine. There's a large Jewish community here & our synagogue is (I think) the second oldest synagogue in our hemisphere. They've even kept the sand floors so I'm quite sure the wine available would be that brand. Dark rum would be what was used since rum is made in the V.I. The ones I've tasted had the fruit ground up so finely it was hard to tell which fruits they were - unlike what we think of as fruitcake.
I've never had one with almond paste or icing though, not that there aren't some made that way. Every family has their own method.

o
RE: RECIPE: Black Cakes

I make Black Cake every year. Three comments on the recipe -- the fruit should be soaked much longer (I start in August), and tedious though it may seem, the fruit needs to be chopped by hand. Using a mincer or a food processor means you end up with a gluey, sticky mess. Also with cherries it is no longer black.

I cook it about six weeks before we want to eat it, and 'feed' it regularly with rum.

We don't put any marzipan or icing on it, either.

Beth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here