Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara52_gw

RECIPE: Frozen Lemon Cream Sandwiches

barbara52
19 years ago

This is from the March 2004 issue of Food and Wine magazine. I've made it for guests on several occasions and it has always been well received. It's quick, simple, and very tasty. Can be made ahead, too:

{{gwi:1497292}}

Frozen Lemon Cream Sandwiches

one 7-oz container chilled creme fraiche

1/4 cup lemon curd

finely grated zest of one lemon

12 crisp butter waffle cookies

1/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios

Line a small baking sheet with wax paper. In a chilled bowl, beat the creme fraiche with the lemon curd and zest until firm peaks form.

Arrange half of the cookies on the baking sheet and spoon the lemon cream onto the centers, letting it ooze gently to the edges. Top w/the remaining cookies, pressing down very gently. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze the sandwiches until firm, at least 4 hrs.

Spread the nuts on a plate and roll the edges of the sandwiches in them.

6 servings

(Can be frozen in an airtight container up to one week.)

NOTES:

Jules Destrooper Crisp Butter Wafers (from Belgium) are available from specialty shops in the US. They are, as their name implies, wonderfully crisp and buttery ...

accept no substitute!

Use any good brand of lemon curd. I used Nelson's, from England.

Comments (40)

• lindac
    19 years ago

What an awful thing to show someone craving dessert!
    So simple....but sooooo good!
    Linda C

• woodie
    19 years ago

I'm the person who keeps saying "I'm not much for dessert"? So, why do I keep peeking over on this forum??????

Because I hear something whispering out of my monitor saying "Woodie", "Woodie", "Woodie". And it was this recipe calling to me, that's why.

• rosecmd
    18 years ago

Yum...that lemon dessert sounds fabulous and easy! Claire, I love pumpkin bread (I actually cheat and make the boxed Pillsbury one -- it's one of the few convenience products I use)...I'll have to try it with the orange sherbet...

• ann_t
    18 years ago

OOOOh ooooh, Barbara that looks great. And so easy.

Ann

• sapphires
    18 years ago

I still can not find either the Lemon curd mentioned or the wafers. I am sad. : (

Sapphires

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Sapphires, if you live near a Trader Joe's, you can purchase the lemon curd there.

• sapphires
    18 years ago

Debbie,
    I called the closest TJ near me, and they don't have it. I know I could probably use a different one but wanted to try recipe as is. Thank you Debbie.

Sapphires

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Sapphires, sorry to hear that your TJ's doesn't carry it. I purchased mine at the one in Hadley, MA. Another option would be to make your own lemon curd. I have yet to try the lemon sandwiches, but since I have all the ingredients, I may do that soon.

• sapphires
    18 years ago

Well if anyone ever comes across the Jules Destrooper Butter Wafers and/or the Nelson's Lemon Curd and would pick it/them up for me, I would gladly pay via money order for cost and shipping. If I knew ahead of time I could get two of each. Still hoping I can find a source around my area as I haven't given up the search yet.

Sapphires

• HanArt
    18 years ago

You can buy the wafers and another brand of lemon curd through the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: wafers and curd

• sapphires
    18 years ago

Thank you for the link for the butter wafers. Now if I could just find the Nelson's lemon curd. I know, I know, I could use another kind, but I want to try Nelson's. Thank you.

Sapphires

• cloudy_christine
    18 years ago

Well, I finally got this together. I tracked down the Destrooper wafers. I made crème fraiche. One day last week it got cool enough to make lemon curd.
    Boy are these good!
    I don't think the pistachios add much except looks. Other nuts might actually taste better. But none would be fine.
    If you haven't made these, do!

• creativezee
    18 years ago

Made this fabulous dessert twice. First time with the correct wafers, then tried it with pittzelle and they did get pretty soggy. Also depending upon which creme fraiche you use it varries the tartness..The lemon curd at Trader Joe's is made by the same company that makes Nelson's so if you have a TJ's close by, look no further.

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

So pretty too!

• jessyf
    18 years ago

This dessert rocks. Our Trader Joe's carries ALL the ingredients bwahahaaa

• jenn
    18 years ago

Jessy -- really??? I'm going to look at ours on Saturday. Maybe I'll drive to all 4 of them, teehee. :-0

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Jenn - I would recommend you call before you go. You know Trader Joes!

• livvyandbella
    18 years ago

We don't have a Trader Joe's. Any idea of any other stores that may carry the wafers?

• woodie
    18 years ago

My regular market (A & P) carries them. I'd give the regular supermarkets a try, look in their imported section. I'd be happy to send you some - let me know. I can't guarantee that they'll stay whole during the mailing process, but I'll try!

Garden Web email system doesn't seem to work for some of us, so if you'd like, you should post here and I'll give you my email address.

• livvyandbella
    18 years ago

Thank you so much Woodie for offering to send. I just got in from Shaws market, and I was thrilled, they had two boxes in their cookie section. I can't wait to try them.
    Barb

• woodie
    18 years ago

Hey Sapphires! I just re-read this whole thread from the beginning and see that you were looking for those cookies too, sorry I missed your post earlier. I'd be happy to send them to you, let me know! I was just in my market today and they do have them in stock. I'll check out the lemon curd next trip.

• beezee
    18 years ago

these are wonderful...thanks...some family members are not fond of lemon...what are some suggestions for a lemon curd substitute??? perhaps nutella?? bz

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Trader Joes used to sell raspberry curd. I suppose you could substitute something like that. I know there are recipes on the forum for lemon curd, so I bet you could try that. I've never been known to turn down nutella, though!

• carla35
    17 years ago

I think I'll be able to find most of the stuff for the recipe, but where do I find the creme fraiche? (Is it by the sour cream?) I have never noticed it in the store before. And, how expensive is it? Thanks.

• lisbet
    17 years ago

From epicurious - crème fraîche
    [krehm FRESH]
    This matured, thickened cream has a slightly tangy, nutty flavor and velvety rich texture. The thickness of crème fraîche can range from that of commercial sour cream to almost as solid as room-temperature margarine. In France, where crème fraîche is a specialty, the cream is unpasteurized and therefore contains the bacteria necessary to thicken it naturally. In America, where all commercial cream is PASTEURIZED, the fermenting agents necessary for crème fraîche can be obtained by adding buttermilk or sour cream. A very expensive American facsimile of crème fraîche is sold in some gourmet markets. The expense seems frivolous, however, when it's so easy to make an equally delicious version at home. To do so, combine 1 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons buttermilk in a glass container. Cover and let stand at room temperature (about 70°F) from 8 to 24 hours, or until very thick. Stir well before covering and refrigerate up to 10 days. Crème fraîche is the ideal addition for sauces or soups because it can be boiled without curdling. It's delicious spooned over fresh fruit or other desserts such as warm cobblers or puddings.

• livvyandbella
    17 years ago

Does the regular market carry creme fraiche?

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

I finally got around to making these today. These are just delicious, rich and refreshing and have instantly become a new favorite. June 1st seemed like a good day to attempt this, as it is the beginning of summer around here. We're going to enjoy these a lot this year! I found my cookie wafers at World Market, and enjoyed making this super easy dessert (with great presentation.) I used almonds for the nuts, and will be serving these with ribs this 90 degree weekend, as part of a birthday celebration.

Barbara Thanks for the recipe!

• finally
    17 years ago

I have a DD who's allergic to nuts. I used grated bittersweet chocolate for the edges. Yummy!

Dolores

• fenworth
    17 years ago

Looks great even though I don't know what lemon curd is. What area would I find it, by jams, etc.?

• carla35
    17 years ago

Yeah, the lemon curd is by the jellies and perserves.

Do you (or anyone) know where the creme fraiche is shelved and if you can find it at regular supermarkets, and about how much it costs? Thanks

I see lisbet provided a recipe for it, but I'd prefer to just buy it if it's easy to find and not too expensive.

• fenworth
    17 years ago

Thanks Carla - CF should be fairly common, but I was recently surpised (and annoyed) when my local Stop & Shop didn't carry it. Any slightly more upscale or gourmet supermarket should have it. It's generally in dairy (by the sour cream or yogurt) but may also be by specialty cheeses like fresh ricotta, etc. Comes in a small plastic tub.

I don't recall the cost, but I think in the $2-3 range. Nothing crazy.

• woodie
    17 years ago

These are in my freezer right now, patiently waiting until tonight to be eaten! Next time I'm going to automatically double the recipe in order to have plenty more to lick off the beaters and spatula and bowl. I can't wait to serve them tonight - I have the perfect audience, 2 friends who will truly appreciate them (as well as yours truly).

Fenworth, did you find the lemon curd?

Carla, the creme fraiche in my store yesterday was $4.99 for 7 ounces, kind of pricey. I'll make it myself next time. It was by the specialty cheeses, kind of hard to spot, practially hiding.

• fenworth
    17 years ago

Woodie - Funny, I just made these this weekend for the first time, too! YUM. Agree? I'll be making them regularly. So yes, I obviously did find the lemon curd. Wilkins or something, an English brand. Also found the Jules Destrooper cookies.

I didn't notice what I paid for creme fraiche, but I did notice, as I have in the past, that I've only seen 8 oz containers but so many recipes call for 7 oz. What's up with that? Not that it mattered in any way...

What did you think about the pistachios? Mine barely stuck once the sandwiches were frozen, so after the first round I didn't bother and didn't feel like I was missing anything more than perhaps presentation. (I'm not big on nuts in my food anyway...)

• woodie
    17 years ago

Fenworth, my pistachios stuck just fine - but I did press them in pretty firmly. Wonder why yours didn't stick? I love pistachios, but I don't think that they are "necessary" to this yummy concoction!

Another thing - my creme fraiche was a 7 oz. container - its the first time I've ever bought it and it was the only size there was.

I put the sandwiches on small oval plates with a couple of raspberries alongside and a couple whole shelled pistachios just to garnish it a little bit and it was a bit of a novelty to have an "ice cream sandwich" at the dining room table :-)

• maddielee
    17 years ago

Our lemon curd (Publix Supermarkets) is not sold near the jams and jellies. It's in the baking section, near the sugar and chocolate chips. ( Check the top shelf with the almond paste and Nutella.)

ML

• debbie814
    17 years ago

I followed the instructions given by Epicurious to make the home version of creme fraiche. For some reason, it seemed a bit runny compared to the creme fraiche that I normally buy for these cream sandwiches. Anyone else experience this?

• carla35
    17 years ago

debbie,

I haven't made it, but according to the comments at Epicurious, maybe the buttermilk fat content you used was too low. Did you use 1% or 3.5%? The fat content of your cream may have made a difference too. It sounds like with some of the creme fraiche recipes you just have to plan on making it a little bit ahead just it case it takes longer to thicken.

Did the recipe still turn out ok?

• jojoco
    17 years ago

I've made these several times this summer. The best pairing was serving them after a lobster dinner (with plenty of lemon for the lobster.) The only caveat I have had with these is that the recipe didn't double well. It may have been my error, but the volume didn't double, just the richness of the creme fraiche. It was too rich. This is my favorite summertime recipe.

• msazadi
    17 years ago

And while I don't have the recipe at hand for the lemon curd we made at Canny Camp, it was easy enough to do. No it doesn't can. ;-) We used sour cream and that did NOT beat up so our filling was rather soft. Maureen

• booberry85
    17 years ago

The lemon curd recipe came out of The Joy of Cooking. Sherry added an extra egg.

I think the recipe was:
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

This was cooked on medium heat until the sugar dissolved.

Added to this was:
    the zest of one lemon
    6 tbsp butter

This mixture was cooked until the mixture thickened. Then it was strained to get out the lemon zest. Then placed in the frig to set up.

It was very easy to make. I had never made it before and people told me I did well!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz