Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Typical 'American' Appetizers & Desserts???

Posted by Sandy_in_IA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 04 at 12:42

We will be having an "American Picnic" at our home next Monday night. We will have guys from China, Germany and Slovakia. Plus a bunch of couples from DH's work. About 22 all together. We will have appetizers early, and have the picnic about 8 (people had commitments earlier) of hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, potato salad and we are hoping to find some local 'good' sweet corn yet.

I need some ideas of what, as Jack from China says..."typical American family" appetizers. ANY and all ideas are welcome! I will be asking others to bring some as well, so if it is a recipe that you have, please add it here, and I will send it along for others.

Also, I am going to make a cake with the strawberries and blueberries laid on the top to look like an American flag. Any other "American" desserts? Besides apple pie?

I also made invitations with the American flag muted in back of the info, then have small China, Germany and Slovakia flags on them also.

I wish I would have had my head together around the 4th of July and picked up more red/white/blue things. "/ Any other "American" ideas???

THANKS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Typical 'American' Appetizers & Desserts???

Desserts: Ice cream for sure, brownies, cookies, chocolate cake, cheese cake.

Other american things, vegetable tray with dip and deviled eggs, shrimp cocktail, party mix, we really eat alot of salsa in this country.

Marilyn

o

LEMON BARS DELUXE
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
2 sticks butter
4 beaten eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together 2 cups of the flour & the confectioners' sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar & lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder; stir into the egg mixture & pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Cool. Cut into squares.~~ Mountain Measures

o

What more typical American picnic dessert than home made icecream....and let the guests turn the dasher.
Appetisers? How about little smokies in that grape jelly mustard chili sauce mix....and things like sliced tomatoes....cucumbers with vinegar and salt pepper and sugar....and plain old cheese and crackers.
Linda C

o

FYI, according to Greg Patent, author of Baking in America, "layer cakes are a quintessentially American creation".

o

There you go! What about a good old chocolate cake?

o

THANKS for all your ideas! Chocolate cake...great, and what could be easier!?! And, with homemade ice cream!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here