Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

LOOKING for: one or two serving cake recipe

Now that I am officially an empty nester i don't want to bake full recipes (I can't be trusted with the leftovers). Does anyone have a recipe for a cake that serves one or two?

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I haven't made this but it's from a book called Small Batch Baking. You'll need two 14 or 14.5 oz cans, washed & labels removed with only 1 end of can removed. You can line the bottom of the can with parchment to make the cake easier to remove.

OLD FASHIONED YELLOW CAKE (serves 2)
    Unsalted butter, room temperature for greasing the cans
    1/2 cup flour, sifted + more for flouring the cans
    3 TBL buttermilk
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    Yolk of 1 large egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 TBL unsalted butter, melted & cooled
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt

Place rack in center of the oven & preheat oven to 350°. Grease insides of the cans & lightly dust them w/flour, tapping out the excess. Place the cans on a baking sheet for easier handling & set aside.
    Place the buttermilk & baking soda in a small bowl & whisk until the baking soda is dissolved. Add the yolk, vanilla & melted butter & whisk to combine.
    Place the flour, sugar & salt in a medium mixing bowl & whisk to blend well. Add the buttermilk mixture & whisk just until blended & smooth.
    Spoon the batter into the prepared cans, dividing it evenly between them. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
    Remove baking sheet from the oven & transfer the cans to a wire rack to cool 15 minutes. Then run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of each can, and invert them to release the cakes. Place the cakes upright on the rack & let them cool completely. (The unfrosted cakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days; or they can be frozen, well wrapped for up to 1 month. Let return to room temperature before frosting.
    To frost the cakes, cut each in 1/2 horizontally. Spread a layer of the frosting about 1/4" thick on the cut side of the cake half, then stak the other half on top of it. Frost the top & sides of the cake. Repeat w/the remaining cake & frosting.~~

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM FROSTING (2/3 cup)
    3 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
    2 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
    3 TBL sour cream, room temperature
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    Pinch of salt

Place both chocolates in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water & heat, stirring occasionally until they melt. (Or microwave in a medium bowl on high power until glossy, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes rotating the bowl after 1 1/2 minutes.)
    Let the choclate mixture cool for 5 minutes. Then add the sour cream, vanilla & salt & whisk to blend well. Let the frosting cool to room temperature, stirring it occasionally. When it is cool, it should be thick enough to spread. If not, refrigeratoe for a few minutes to thicken. Use immediately.

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

Cake freezes so well, why not just make any recipe and freeze the rest in individual servings? In won't be as tempting if you need to think about thawing. Works for me!!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ginger, I'm going to try it.

Ysop, believe it or not, I am fond of frozen cake!

• hotshott
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone! Eeven though you, Raee are a empty nester. I'm just hatching mine. :) I just got married last year, I have 5 month old twin girls. It's just my hubby and I so these tips and recipes are great. I love making desserts! I've been giving my neighbors a ton. They must think the world of us. I'm just trying to get rid of some of it...LOL
    -Monica

• sweetkitten51
    16 years ago

Google cake in a mug.
    It just enough for two people.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource