Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yanalg_gw

RECIPE: Looking for Cuisinart recipe for cream puffs/ eclairs

yanalg
16 years ago

Hi,

I am hoping that the owners of old Cuisinart food processors might be able to help me out. Older food processor cookbooks used to have a recipe for either cream puffs or eclairs or profiteroles (can't recall which one), but the recipe is no longer included in the recipe booklets for new models nor on the Cuisinart website. Can anybody help, please?

thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Profiteroles

Here's one that uses a food processor

Copyright, 2004, Barefoot in Paris, Barefoot Contessa

1 cup milk
    1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
    Pinch kosher salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    4 extra-large eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons prepared coffee
    Good vanilla ice cream (recommended: Haagen-Dazs), for serving
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    Heat the milk, butter, and salt over medium heat until scalded. When the butter is melted, add the flour all at once and beat it with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and forms a dough. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes. The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pan. Dump the hot mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the eggs and pulse until the eggs are incorporated into the dough and the mixture is thick.

Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip. Pipe in mounds 1 1/2 inches wide and 1-inch high onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You should have about 18 puffs. With a wet finger, lightly press down the swirl at the top of each puff. (You can also use 2 spoons to scoop out the mixture and shape the puffs with damp fingers.) Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned, then turn off the oven and allow them to sit for another 10 minutes, until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Make a small slit in the side of each puff to allow the steam to escape. Set aside to cool.

For the chocolate sauce, place the cream and chocolate chips in a bowl set over simmering water and stir just until the chocolate melts. Add the honey and coffee and stir until smooth. Set aside.

For serving, cut each profiterole in half crosswise, fill with a small scoop of ice cream, replace the top, and drizzle with slightly warm chocolate sauce.

• lindac
    16 years ago

That's the recipe! Doesn't work very well because the butter/water/flour mixture cools off too much to firm up the eggs and they don't hol;d their shape well when you put them onto the baking sheet.
    After you add the flour and beat well, just use a spoon to beat in the eggs. I am the original "Cuisinart Queen" but this is best done with a spoon.
    That chocolate honey sauce sounds wonderful! Copying that one!
    Linda C

• yanalg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, guys!

There is a story behind my quest for the Cuisinart recipe. I just got a wonderful present of a new Cuisinart food processor from my stepmom, who has an older Cuisinart and she loved the profiterole recipe that came with it. She misplaced it and was really hoping that my new Cuisinart will have it. So I am trying to find it for her :)

I will be sure to pass on your recipes!

Yana

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Linda,
    Regarding your comment:
    "Doesn't work very well because the butter/water/flour mixture cools off too much to firm up the eggs and they don't hold their shape well when you put them onto the baking sheet."

I make them in my KA mixer, with the mixer on low speed, I mix the hot mixture releasing much steam for about 2 minutes before adding the eggs, one at a time. Learned this trick many years ago & each and every time I get beautifully puffed shells.

Lucy

• lindac
    16 years ago

Now I had to go look up what my recipe said.
    For years I used Fanny Farmer's recipe....which is 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup water 2 eggs...beat with a spoon..
    And I doubled it.
    Then I started using Julia's recipe, which is using 1 cup of eggs...often 4 1/2 eggs depending on size.
    Julia specifically says not to use the cuisinart because it goes so fast you can't beat all the eggs into the mix before it gets too stiff...and I was thinking it had something to do with cooling down.
    So, according to Julia, I had the method correct but the reason wrong.
    I still say it's so easy to do right in the pan, why bother with the cuisinart.
    But I sure use it for everything else!
    Linda C

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

This is from my old Cuisinart book - 1981. I included the description.

Puff Shell Dough
    (This is the dough used for eclairs, cream puffs, appetizer puffs and classical French recipes like Dauphine Potatoes, quenelles and gougere. It is always made with a panade - a combination of butter, flour and water - to which eggs are added.)

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
    2/3-cup water
    1 tablespoon sugar (optional) 1 cup all-purpose flour
    4 large eggs

Combine butter, water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. As soon as water reaches the boil, reduce heat to simmer and add flour all at once. Beat vigorously with wooden spoon until flour is absorbed. Mash dough against bottom and sides of pan with spoon for 1 to 2 minutes. remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

Add dough to bowl of food processor with metal blade. Process for 10 to 15 seconds. Add 4 eggs and process about 1 minute, or until smooth and shiny. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. The dough should be very thick and it should hold its shape when lifted on a spoon. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for 1 to 2 days.

Makes 2 cups of dough, enough for 12 cream-puff shells or a 6-cup ring mold.

• yanalg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Virginia, thank you! This is it!

many thanks again, Yana

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths