Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamarack_gw

RECIPE: ice cream maker

tamarack
20 years ago

Well, this week I bought an ice cream maker (Cuisinart). Made some good coconut icecream with rum.

What are your favourite ice cream recipes?

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I don't drink but rum is really cheap here. I hope you'll share that recipe.
    SINFULLY SCRUMPTIOUS ICE CREAM
    4 cups + 3/4 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    8 egg yoks, well beten
    4 cups mashed peaches or stawberries (I've used frozen)

Scald the 3/4 cup cream with the milk in the top of a double boiler over direct heat. Add the sugar & salt. Pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the beaten yolks. Add the yolks to the milk mixture & over simmering water cook until thickened to a custard consistency (coating the back of a spoon.) Remove from the heat & cool. Mix the mashed fruit with the remaining 4 cups cream. Blend into the cooled custard.
    If using a manual freezer, fill container 3/4 full. Pack ice & rock salt around the edges, using 3 parts ice to 1 part salt. When the crank gets too hard to turn & the ingredients have solidified to a soft ice cream stage, remove the dasher & pack down the ice cream. Repack fresh ice & salt around the sides, wrap in burlap or newspaper & let stand 1 hour. Freeze in paper cartons. For an electric ice cream freezer, foll the manufacturer's directions.~~

PEPPERMINT ICE CREAM
    2 cups whole milk, divided
    1 TBL cornstarch
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 TBL vanilla extract
    2 cups heavy cream
    12-16 oz pkg peppermint hard candy

Soak peppermint candy in cream to melt. Scald 1 1/2 cups milk. In top of double boiler, mix sugar & cornstarch well. Add yolks & 1/2 cup milk & mix well. Add scalded milk slowly to yolk mixture & cook, stirring over simmering water until mixture coats spoon. Cool. Add cream. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.~~

• tamarack
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sure, must have been very tired last night when I posted and forgot the recipe. It's from the latest LCBO magazine.
    Coconut Ice Cream:
    1 can light coconut milk (400ml)
    homogenized milk (100 ml)
    1/3 cup granulated sugar (75 ml)
    2 tbsp rum (25 ml)
    In a large measuring cup, mix the coconut milk with enough homogenized milk to make 2 cups. Stir in the sugar and rum and refrigerate overnight. Then freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

I adjusted this recipe because I only had regular coconut milk in the house which is very rich, so thinned it with another cup of 2% milk and added more sugar and rum accordingly. It's nice with fruit spooned over it.

• Marlen
    20 years ago

tamarack, that sounds great!
    Don't know if you know about this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice cream reciopes

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Here is one more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice cream recipes

• Marlen
    20 years ago

And yet one more. The ice cream recipes are towards the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice cream recipes

• tamarack
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you, Ginger and Marlen, this gives me plenty to experiment with!! Never had peppermint ice cream, gonna try that, and there are some other very interesting flavours in those links.

• Marlen
    20 years ago

You are very welcome! Wish I was there to help you sample the recipes! LOLOL

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES