Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvsgrtdanes

LOOKING for: apple pie and cheese cake

luvsgrtdanes
20 years ago

O.K. who has the best ever apple pie or cobbler and cheese cake recipe out there?

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I like this one for a regular cheesecake:
    BEST CHEESECAKE
    Creust:
    1 cup flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    1 stick butter
    1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
    1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400°. Combine the flour, sugar & lemon zest. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until teh mixture is crumbly. Add the yolk & vanilla; blend well. Pat 1/3 of the dough on the bottom of a 9" springform pan (sides removed.) Bake about 6 minutes or until golden; cool. Butter the sides of the pan; attach to the bottom. Pat the remaining dough evenly on the sides to a height of 2".

Cheese Filling
    Five 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 3/4 cup sugar
    3 TBL flour
    3/4 tsp grated lemon zest
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    5 eggs (1 cup)
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup heavy cream

Heat oven to 500°. Put the cream chese in a mixing bowl & beat until fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, flour, lemon zest, salt & vanilla. Gradually blend into the cheese. Add the eggs & yolks, 1 at a time; beat well after each addition. Gently stir in the cream. Turn into the crust-lined pan. Bake at 500° for 5-8 minutes or until the top of the crust is golden. Reduce the heat to 200°; bake 1 hour longer. Remove from the oven; cool in the pan for 3 hours. Remove the sides of the pan. Chill 6 hours or overnight.~~(Serve in small slices, very rich.)

For a gussied up verson I like this:
    PRALINE CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN SAUCE
    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup pecans, chopped & toasted
    4 TBL butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the crumbs, sugar & pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter & mix well. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom & 1 1/2" i[ tje sodes pf a 9" springform. Bake 10 minutes.

Filling:
    Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 TBL flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat together the cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour & vanilla. Add the eggs & beat just until blended. Pour into the hot baked crust. Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the springform & remove the rim. Cool completely. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the cheesecake.

Pecan Sauce
    1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    2 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup broken pecan pieces

In a saucepan, mix the brown sugar & cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter & add the pecans. Serve the sauce over the cheesecake or pass in a sauceboat.~~

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

APPLE PIE
    Crust:
    1 3/4 cup flour
    3 TBL sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup + 2 TBL butter or margarine
    1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice, approximately

Filling:
    1 2/3 cups sour cream
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1 egg
    2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    8 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored & sliced

Topping:
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 TBL cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

For the crust: Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon 7 salt in a large bowl. add the butter & cut in using 2 forks or a pastry blender. Add the apple cider or juice & toss until moistened. You might need 1 to 2 tsp more to make the dough easy to work. Roll out to make a single crust & place in a 10" pie plate. Build up the sides & flute the edges. Cover w/plastic wrap while making the filling.

For the filling: Beat the sour cream, sugar, flour, egg, vanilla & salt. Stir in the apples & pour into the prepared crust. Bake in a preheated 450° oven 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350° & continue baking until the filling is slightly puffed & golden brown, about 45 minutes.

To make the topping: combine the walnuts, flour both sugars, cinnamon & salt in a small bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the pie & bake for 15 more minutes.~~

• lakeguy35
    20 years ago

Ginger, that Apple Pie sounds great! Have never had one with sour cream in the recipe. And the Cheesecake with Pecan Sauce is going into the recipe files too. Thanks!
    Can't wait until it cools off a little, been doing most of my baking in the late evening.

David

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I hope you like them. I only make them for company since even I can't eat a whole cheesecake. Before you know it, you'll get cold weather again!

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

This is not the best cheesecake recipe out there but if I take these to any type of potluck, they're always the first things gobbled up:

TINY CHERRY CHEESECAKES

1 cup flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    ¼ cup baking cocoa
    ½ cup cold butter
    2 Tbsp. cold water

Filling:
    2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
    ¼ cup sugar
    2 Tbsp. Milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa: cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide and shape into 24 balls. Place a ball in greased miniature muffin cups; press dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of each cup. In a mixing bowl, beat cram cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add egg; beat on low just until combined. Spoon about 1 tablespoonful into each cup. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Carefully remove from pans to cool completely. Top with pie filling. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 2 dozen.

Source: Taste of Home magazine

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County