Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Toasted coconut marshmallows

Posted by msprettyky (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 20:54

I got this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa. My necies and nephew love them. I add flavors like strawberry or coconut sometimes.

TOASTED COCONUT MARSHMALLOWS

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk
attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over
medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240
degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer
on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix
thoroughly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Toasted coconut marshmallows

I was just looking at this recipe in her cookbook the other day. I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows. Are they easy?

o
RE: RECIPE: Toasted coconut marshmallows

VERY easy. Once you get them in the mixer, you walk away for 15 mins, come back add a little vanilla....and you have marshmallow! I could'nt believe how easy they were. You can just dust them with powdered sugar instead of coconut. For valentines day, I used food color to make them pink and added strawberry flavor. Then I used a white chocolate ganash icing on top. I flavored the icing with strawberry too. The kids went crazy for them. To tell you the truth though, I think my mother liked them better. I found some hidden in her room a week later! lol
We are going camping at the end of the month and I plan on making some for roasting and for smores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here