Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: What a way to go - warning, a real heart-stopper!

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

A friend (?) brought this over last week for me to try & I nearly fell into the dish. After smacking her around, she gave me the recipe:

BLACK & WHITE CREME BRULEE (serves 8)

8 large egg yolks

1/3 cup + 8 tsp sugar, divided

3 cups heavy whipping cream

1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk yolks & 1/3 cup sugar in a large bowl, blending well.

Pour cream into a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Scrape seeds from bean into cream & add bean. Bring mixture to a simmer; remove from heat. Very gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolks. (If you do it too fast, you'll have scrambled eggs.) Strain custard into another large bowl. Transfer a scant 2 cups custard to a medium bowl. Immediately add chocolate to remaining custard in large bowl. Whisk until chocolate melts & mixture is smooth.

Pour chocolate custard equally in eight 2/3 cup ramekins. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.

Bake 25 minutes or until custard is barely set in center. Transfer ramekins to a baking sheet & refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the tops feel firm. Maintain oven temperature.

Spoon vanilla custard evenly over ramekins. Place ramekins in roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides. Bake 35 minutes or until custard is barely set in center.

Preheat oven to broil. Arrange 4 ramekins on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 tsp sugar. Broil 1 minute or until sugar browns. Repeat with remaining custards & sugar. Refrigerate custards at least 1 hour before sering. Can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead, but keep refrigerated.~~

I'm quite sure you could substitute vanilla extract & just add it after whisking the hot cream into the yolks.

Comments (20)

• pixistix
    20 years ago

Ohhhh, sounds devine . . . do you suppose I could double up on my cholesterol meds for one of those? Thanks, Ginger . . . I'll file it anyway . . .

• roselin32
    20 years ago

How many dress sizes did you go up after this, Ginger???
    Decadent, wouldn't you say??? But you're so right-what a way to go!
    RL

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Pixistix, could you pass the cholesterol meds this way please? Or just send the Roto-rooter guy to ream out the arteries.
    Roselin, she only brought me over one measly little serving. I could eat this whole recipe myself.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ah, Ginger-she really is a GOOD friend! LOL

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Wow Ginger! My heart stills beats way too fast with your Slices of Sin recipe. I'll have to really calm myself for this one.
    Thanks heaps!

• BeverlyAL
    20 years ago

I could eat a whole recipe of creme brulee and this sounds so delicious.

• Sylvia
    20 years ago

Lends new meaning to: "Be still, my beating heart."

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

What a way to go though, Sylvia!

• RuddMD
    20 years ago

Creme Brulee is my favorite! I have the ramekins to make it but have never bought the torch to crisp the top! Maybe this will inspire me too!

One good thing about not making this yourself and only ordering in restaurants is you don't see all the ingredients going into the pan. I think this somehow makes it less fattening! Don't you agree. . . . ?

Doris

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I know for a fact that the effort of ordering in a restaurant uses up all the calories in a dessert. You also can't raid the refrigerator later that night in a restaurant.

I don't have one of those torch things because I'd probably wind up without eyebrows.

• aka_raeanne
    20 years ago

Ginger - I tried this recipe last night and it was SUPERB. The chocolate really makes it, but the plain would hold up all on it's own. It was my first time making a brulee and the top didn't form a real crust, but it didn't matter. It was definitely worth going off my diet for LOL. Thanks

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Ginger,
    This sounds really good. I will have to make this sometime.
    Ilene

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Raeanne, I'm so glad you liked it. Isn't it bittersweet to see a post by Marlen?

• aka_raeanne
    20 years ago

Ginger - I didn't even read the other posts. Even though I never really knew Malen - I agree it is very bittersweet to see her post.

• starduster
    20 years ago

Oh, my gosh... this is going to be great.

• woodie
    20 years ago

Ginger, you know I don't usually come over here, I hardly ever even lurk! But, somehow I did tonight and saw your post about Marlen. It really is bittersweet, I just made "Marlen's Bacon Pull Apart Bread" over the weekend and my cousin asked for the recipe and I mentioned it on the C/F the other day. Isn't it funny/unreal/wonderful how somebody who you NEVER met can touch you in a special way? (I know that you have met Marlen, but I guess I mean me!) I first got to know her on another Recipe Exchange and then found her over here. She was special, she had some extra bright light.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You nailed it, Woodie. I agree with all you said.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

And so do I! Wish God had made more of her.
    RL`

• BigMama
    20 years ago

Wow Ginger.....thanks so much for the Marlen boost ....Pretty neat to see her postings on this forum and others...It's wonderful to know how truly loved and respected she is/was....

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

I have made so many of Marlen's recipes that my family "knows" her (and Ginger, Linda in TN, and others). It's a nice thought that Marlen will be in people's homes for years through making those foods she had shared. That's a wonderful legacy.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living