2 TBL Rose's Lime juice

1 tsp grated lime zest

1 1/2 TBL freshly grated ginger

3 1/4 cups + 2 TBL flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

In a large bowl beat the butter with the sugar, adding the egg, beat until fluffy. Stir in rum, lime juice, zest & ginger. Sift together dry ingredients & add to bowl until well combined.

Cut dough in 1/2 & form into a roll. Wrap with wax paper & chill overnight until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease baking sheets or use non-stick ones.

Slice rolls thinly, slightly less than 1/4". Place on cookie shets leaving at least 1 1/2" space between the cookies. Sprinkle sugar over the tops of the cookies & bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes. Remove cookies from oven & allow to cool on sheet for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will have hardened slightly & be easier to remove with a metal spatula. Cool completely on a wire rack.~~

Comments (15)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Now this sounds interesting-can you distinguish the lime juice? I love spice cookies.
    RL`

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Wow! I love it!
    Thanks for posting some of the islands' recipes. I don't have many of those and they all sound great. Can't wait to try this one.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's just an unusual taste. It makes crunchy cookies so if you like soft ones, this isn't it.

• dances_in_garden
    20 years ago

Thanks Ginger! I am always looking for new twists on favourites for our Christmas baking. Cutting and pasting to try later!

{{gwi:336191}}

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's good with tea. Don't know if kids would like them.

• Bethintokyo
    20 years ago

Is your friend Angela Spenceley (something like that, I think), who wrote a book on Virgin Isles cooking and also one about cooking with rum, Ginger?

Beth

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Yes it is, Beth. I've known her for years & we sell a ton of her books.

• Bethintokyo
    20 years ago

Wow! I've got the rum book!
    Do you run a book shop, Ginger? Which Virgin Isles are you in? Are you making a black cake? I'm about to start chopping! This year's rum is Appleton Estate!

Beth

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm in St. Thomas. That's one of her earlier books. She has more out now. I've never made a black cake myself but I've tasted them & they're very good & very expensive to make. Here they're usually made for Christmas, weddings, etc.
    I don't have a book store but manage 4 stores, one of which was mostly spices & hot sauces. The rest are also geared for tourists & the books are very popular.
    Angela also has a postcard, souvenir wholesale business here as well as the books she writes.

• Bethintokyo
    20 years ago

Yes, I'm making my black cake for Christmas, too, but you have to start early!

Beth

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That's true. Can you get all the ingredients there?

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Okay, what's a "black cake"??
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's like a very dark VERY rich fruitcake. I don't have a recipe. Every family's seems to be different. The one I tasted didn't have big chunks of fruit in it. They're sometimes used for wedding cakes here, too. I ran a fundraiser at an historic house here to benefit the Humane Society & had all old-time local foods & a scratch band. A bakery made up a black cake for me. Was it ever expensive! But it was good. And I don't normally like any kind of fruitcake.

Here's one version. I don't know how similar they are to the British black cakes which probably are where our versions originated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cake

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

What is the browning sauce mentioned there? Kitchen Bouquet????? maybe?
    Lisa

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I don't know for sure, Lisa but that's a very small amount so it could be omitted easily probably. I assume it's just in there to make the cake darker. Want me to sing the traditional Christmas carol here? "Good Mahnin', Good Mahnin'! I've come for my Guavaberry." LOL

Guavaberry liqueur is made by lots of people from guavaberries. Very traditional at Christmas. Smells pretty bad but very popular.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES