Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Home made ice cream with raw eggs

Posted by keets (keetssix@neo.rr.com) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 17:39

My mother always made this and I am looking for the recipes. Can anyone help me, thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Home made ice cream with raw eggs

Raw eggs unless pasteurized can make you very sick! Old Fashioned Ice Cream-4 eggs, 2 c. sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 c. heavy cream, 1 Tbs. vanilla, 2 qt. milk. Beat eggs until light. add sugar & salt gradually, beat well, add cream,vanilla & milk (last) Freeze in dasher type old fashioned ice cream freezer. Allow about 2 1/2 in. for swelling in container. Yield 1 gal. From the Brookville Hotel in Brookville, Kansas in 1940's.

o

Yeah, that doesn't sound too healthy :/

o

If you have access to eggs from chickens you know don't suffer from salmonella you will be safe. I live in Sweden where salmonella is not known so I use raw eggs all the time for mayonnaise. A young Swedish trained cook working in a Danish restaurant poisoned 500 guests with his mayo because he had never heard of salmonella.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here