Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lois_mo

RECIPE: Fried Pie dough recipe

Lois_MO
20 years ago

Subject: Fried Pie Crust recipe

This was from my husband's aunt who passed away last year. My mom used to make fried pies, but this recipe is better.

6 C flour

1 C shortening

1 tsp. salt

3 Tb. baking powder

1/4 Cup + 1 T? milk = one saucer size pie cutout.

Mix together and put on shelf! It keeps. (I sometimes make half the above mix) (3 Tablespoons baking powder is plenty. I used more once, and it was ok, but not needed!) I think it soaked up more oil! I found that by adding the instant tapioca (Still have to cook a few min.) to the fried pie fruit mix it holds the apple/peach or ? juice and fruit together.

Lois

>

Comments (20)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I'm glad you posted this. Is there any where in the States that sells fried pies anymore? Good ones are never greasy & they're sooooo good if made correctly.
    Thanks for sharing it. I hope Ruthanna sees this. Fried pies have been around a long time & she loves food history.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Yes, Ginger- they sell them at our fair here every year! It's in September-want to come?
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I'd love to be in Texas in September. That's the height of hurricane season here. Not fun if we get one.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Well, c'mon and we can make fried pies while you are here.
    My MIL made them all the time but the one time I made them I had such a mess, I never did it again.
    Lois, do you have a recipe for the filling too?
    I think chocolate would be a winner but will settle for apricot, peach, or whatever.
    Thanx.
    RL

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

Ginger, someone just asked the same question on another website I frequent. Evidently, except for some local fairs and festivals, they are hard to find anymore. A place called the Appple Barn in Pigeon Forge, TN was recommended as having great fried pies.

But thanks to Lois, we can just make our own!

• Lois_MO
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You can use any fruit pie recipe for the filling, but I add tapioca to the filling (instant, but still have to cook it). I love peach fried pies! My mom always used dried fruit with tapioca to make her fried pies, but as long as you cut the pieces small, it is not necessary. Just need to make a thick batter of the juice - which the tapioca does. I am thinking of making a meat fried pie next - maybe some mashed potatoes, onion, hamburger....then next a pizza filling.... : )

Lois

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

I've never tried fried pies but I also prefer minute tapioca for thickening in baked fruit pies. It seems to make the filling hold together without being too gooey.

• Lois_MO
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've never used the Minute Tapioca in regular pies, but will sure try. Wouldn't have a Pasty flavor that the flour sometimes creates! It does make the best thickening for the fried pies tho. If you haven't made any, you should try them. When my husband and I were going together, he'd come over and tell me to go into the kitchen and help my mom make some fried pies....yeah, right, like I could "help." I sprinkle powder sugar on them after they cool slightly.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Hm..........have never used tapioca to thicken pies and know my Mother-in-law always thickened her fruit with flour.
    I would be glad to try the tapioca if one of you has a recipe.
    Thanks.
    RL

• Patty_WV
    20 years ago

I did find a link for anyone else that wants to know just how to make these.
    I've never tried them,but I'll be doing that soon.
    My grandaughter can sift on a little powdered sugar so she can help.Just at that age more messing than helping LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fried Pies

• Lois_MO
    Original Author
    20 years ago

By the way, I made some meat fried pies - Really good! Cooked some stew meat (with onions) until very tender, shredded it, added some seasonings, and fried. Might add some cooked veggies to the mix next time, but they didn't really need it. Will make some chicken tho!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

A favorite local dish is pate which is a spicy meat fried pie, although they can also be baked. Sort of like Cornish pasties with a kick. They're also made with a conch or saltfish filling too.

• BeverlyAL
    20 years ago

Fried pies are almost a thing of the past here. MY GM made delicious ones. I had a neighbor who used to make them and bring them over to me but we both moved and lost touch with each other. I tried to make them once but they were a flop. You can't even get them at the fairs here.

If the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge has fried pies it is a recent thing because I've been going there for years and they never had them. Last time I was there was just a few months ago.

• Lois_MO
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, BeverlyAl, hope you try this recipe. I do make the mix up in a smaller batch occasionally. You won't be disappointed with these!

• BeverlyAL
    20 years ago

Lois, they sure sound tempting but I've just started a diet so they will have to wait. What kind of shortening do you use? I'm sure my GM used lard because everyone did but it's a big no-no now. I bet it's a lot better using lard.

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Nothing beats a lard pie crust. It's even hard to find now, at least here.

• sgates
    16 years ago

Posted by Ginger_St_Thomas - Is there any where in the States that sells fried pies anymore?
    Yes, there is and you can order them online and they will ship them to you.

http://www.flippenhillbillybarn.com/

Flippen Pies are offered in eleven different Flavors
    $2.50 Each PLUS shipping and handling
    Pies can be shipped
    Express Mail (overnight guaranteed)
    Priority Mail (2-3 Day, Not guaranteed delivery date)

PEACH
    APPLE
    STRAWBERRY
    COCONUT
    CHERRY
    CHOCOLATE
    BLACKBERRY
    NO SUGAR ADDED PEACH
    NO SUGAR ADDED APPLE
    We accept Visa and Mastercard.
    For larger quantities, contact us by telephone
    (731) 538-2933
    or through the web and our emails

Here is a link that might be useful: Flippens Fried Pies

• carla17
    16 years ago

What great memories. My GM used to make fried apple pies. SO good!

Thanks for the links and recipes
    Carla

• cookie8
    15 years ago

So here I am cruising the dessert exchange and came across this last week. It's been on my mind ever since! I bought some blueberry and apple pie fillings. Would I still use tapioca or a thickener if they are canned? Do you deep fry these or fry in a pan? Should I roll it really thin? Thanks. I know, it's an old one but it caught my eye.

• mamamoodypies
    13 years ago

MamaMoody Fried Pies are available at Duckett's Produce in Maggie Valley North Carolina. I have a fried pie stand right next to the produce store where I fry pies on weekends from May thru October. Pease come to see the mountains which are so beautiful in the fall and grab a hot fried pie while you are there!!Check out my website.
    MamaMoody.com

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!