Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Apple Cake with Hot Buttered Rum Topping

Posted by Roselin32 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 03 at 17:12

It will soon be apple picking time and this is a recipe that has been a favorite of ours for many years.
2c peeled, grated apples
2c sugar
1/2c shortening
2 c flour
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2c chopped, toasted pecans
Cream shortening and sugar- add eggs and gradually beat in remaining ingredients.
Pour into a Pam sprayed 9x13" pan and bake in a 375 oven for 35-40 min. til tests done. Cool.
Topping:
1c sugar
1/2c butter
1/2c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1T rum or 1 tsp rum extract.
Heat first three ingredients til sugar dissolves and and flavorings.
I serve the cooled cake with the warm topping.
RL`

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Apple Cake with Hot Buttered Rum Topping

Hey, I'm there. It has heavy cream in it. I'll just omit the rum. Thanks!

o
RE: RECIPE:` Apple Cake with Hot Buttered Rum Topping

That is why I added the "rum extract"!!
RL`

o

This sounds good. Can i come over to your house the next time you make one. I will bring my plate and fork.
Ilene

o

Roselin, I almost missed this one! Sounds just wonderful!
Thanks!

o

Sure, Ilene-I'll let you know when our temps get below 90.
And Marlen, NOT for the cops unless they have a designated driver!! LOL

o

It is supposed to get to a 100 here today so i may just have some kind of sandwich for tonight. I was thinking about tuna salad.
Ilene

o

LOLOL Roselin! I can see them pulling each other for DUI;s! LOLOL

o

Had to say that I tryed this recipe today and it is very good! I used one cup of brown sugar and one cup of white sugar for the batter and used brown sugar in the topping. I was trying to use up some of the brown sugar I had. Also, instead of the heavy cream, I just used the skim milk I had on hand.....and it was still very good!!! A scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cool whip would be great with this too, but it really doesn't need anything extra.

o

Gee Mary, you have had this recipe for a while!! LOL. Was a toss up the other day if I was going to make this or a pound cake. Had a new, to me, extract that I wanted to try so the pound cake won out but this one won't be far behind. Glad you enjoyed it.

o

Roselin32,

I just found your recipe today as I was going back through the threads, and as we have apple tree's in our yard, I thought I would make it. It was a big hit with the hubby, he had two big pieces at dinner! I wasn't far behind him!
Since that recipe was so good, I have been going back and checking more of the older threads out. Thanks for that great recipe!

o

Mary, when we were in Germany, I had to make that at least once a week for my husband's deputy and it seems he always knew when it was ready. It is a nice one for this time of year and I couldn't tell you where I got it from.
Apple desserts are my husband's favorites too. And you are more than welcome.
Glad you are going back thru the old recipes-there are some good ones there.

o

OK you all, how do you grate apples?? When I tried they turned to mush?? Sally

o

Sally, I use the coarse side on one of those four sided graters. Like the one in this picture. I haven't had a problem with the apples going mushy.

Ann

o

Sally, I put the slices/pcs. in the food processor for a few seconds until they were chopped up. It works very well. I am going to have to make more topping though to use for the rest of the cake. Next time I will double the topping ingredients!

o

Farmhouseindy, what kind of apples are you using?? We always have the small Galas here 4/$1 or so and those grate really easily. I have a grater I brought back from Germany that is very sharp so that has never been a problem but think Mary's idea to chop them up coarsely in the food processor is a good one too. Now, then Mary, I don't think the cake is supposed to be swimming in the topping!! LOL-but I like lots too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here