Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

RECIPE: Apple Cake with Hot Buttered Rum Topping

roselin32
20 years ago

It will soon be apple picking time and this is a recipe that has been a favorite of ours for many years.

2c peeled, grated apples

2c sugar

1/2c shortening

2 c flour

2 eggs

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

1/2c chopped, toasted pecans

Cream shortening and sugar- add eggs and gradually beat in remaining ingredients.

Pour into a Pam sprayed 9x13" pan and bake in a 375° oven for 35-40 min. til tests done. Cool.

Topping:

1c sugar

1/2c butter

1/2c heavy cream

1 tsp vanilla

1T rum or 1 tsp rum extract.

Heat first three ingredients til sugar dissolves and and flavorings.

I serve the cooled cake with the warm topping.

RL`

Comments (15)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Hey, I'm there. It has heavy cream in it. I'll just omit the rum. Thanks!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That is why I added the "rum extract"!!
    RL`

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

This sounds good. Can i come over to your house the next time you make one. I will bring my plate and fork.
    Ilene

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Roselin, I almost missed this one! Sounds just wonderful!
    Thanks!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sure, Ilene-I'll let you know when our temps get below 90°.
    And Marlen, NOT for the cops unless they have a designated driver!! LOL

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

It is supposed to get to a 100 here today so i may just have some kind of sandwich for tonight. I was thinking about tuna salad.
    Ilene

• Marlen
    20 years ago

LOLOL Roselin! I can see them pulling each other for DUI;s! LOLOL

• marylmi
    18 years ago

Had to say that I tryed this recipe today and it is very good! I used one cup of brown sugar and one cup of white sugar for the batter and used brown sugar in the topping. I was trying to use up some of the brown sugar I had. Also, instead of the heavy cream, I just used the skim milk I had on hand.....and it was still very good!!! A scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cool whip would be great with this too, but it really doesn't need anything extra.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gee Mary, you have had this recipe for a while!! LOL. Was a toss up the other day if I was going to make this or a pound cake. Had a new, to me, extract that I wanted to try so the pound cake won out but this one won't be far behind. Glad you enjoyed it.

• marylmi
    18 years ago

Roselin32,

I just found your recipe today as I was going back through the threads, and as we have apple tree's in our yard, I thought I would make it. It was a big hit with the hubby, he had two big pieces at dinner! I wasn't far behind him!
    Since that recipe was so good, I have been going back and checking more of the older threads out. Thanks for that great recipe!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary, when we were in Germany, I had to make that at least once a week for my husband's deputy and it seems he always knew when it was ready. It is a nice one for this time of year and I couldn't tell you where I got it from.
    Apple desserts are my husband's favorites too. And you are more than welcome.
    Glad you are going back thru the old recipes-there are some good ones there.

• farmhouseindy
    18 years ago

OK you all, how do you grate apples?? When I tried they turned to mush?? Sally

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Sally, I use the coarse side on one of those four sided graters. Like the one in this picture. I haven't had a problem with the apples going mushy.

Ann

• marylmi
    18 years ago

Sally, I put the slices/pcs. in the food processor for a few seconds until they were chopped up. It works very well. I am going to have to make more topping though to use for the rest of the cake. Next time I will double the topping ingredients!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Farmhouseindy, what kind of apples are you using?? We always have the small Galas here 4/$1 or so and those grate really easily. I have a grater I brought back from Germany that is very sharp so that has never been a problem but think Mary's idea to chop them up coarsely in the food processor is a good one too. Now, then Mary, I don't think the cake is supposed to be swimming in the topping!! LOL-but I like lots too.