Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Sunflower Cake Pan - Now what?

Posted by bubbeskitchen (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 03 at 16:56

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted here in quite a while but I wonder if you could offer suggestions. (I also posted this on the Cooking Forum this morning)

I just bought a Nordicware Sunflower cake pan to use for DH's B'day cake this Sunday.

My nearly 6 yr old granddaughter wants to help Bubbe bake the cake so I'm looking for recipe ideas and decorating tips that would be fun for her too. One source shows chocolate chips put into the flower center divets before baking, another to ice in sunflower colors.

So what are your thoughts? It is a 10-cup capacity.

Rene A

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower cake pan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Sunflower Cake Pan - Now what?

I assume you'll be making a scratch cake. This is from the site below to give you an idea of the quantity of batter in a 2 layer cake mix (I thought it was more, actually.)

20~ Packaged, two-layer, cake mixes yield between 4-6 cups of batter- so always measure. Usually, one 2-layer cake mix will make any one of the following: 2- 8" round layers, 1- 10" round layer, 1- 7x11x2" sheet cake, 1 character cake, or 1 Wonder Mold cake.

I like the idea of the chocolate chips for the center & that's something your GD could definitely help placing - if she or Grandma don't eat all the chocolate chips.

I made Pixistix's Hot Milk Cake & it's a winner. It rises high so might work for that cake pan.

Pixistix Hot Milk Cake
Old fashioned, simple, melts in your mouth!
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

Beat eggs and sugar well. Combine flour with bk. powder and add to egg mixture along with vanilla. Heat milk and butter together until butter melts; gradually add to batter, beating until well blended.

Also check out Ilene's mom's chocolate cake. It's posted on this forum.

Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here