roselin32
20 years ago

Key Lime Curd

2 c sugar

1 c butter, cut up

2/3 c fresh Key Lime juice

1 T grated Key lime rind

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Combine first three ingredients and lemon rind in a heavy saucepan. Cook over med heat stirring constantly until butter melts. Gradually stir on fourth of the hot mixture into the eggs stirring constantly. Add remaining hot mixture still stirring.

Cook over low heat stirring constantly for ten minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat.

Cover and chill at least two hours before using. Yield: 3 cups.

Orange Curd

5 large eggs

3 egg yolks

2/3 c sugar

5 T frozen OJ concentrate, thawed and undiluted

2T grated orange rind

1/8 tsp salt

1 c butter cut in pieces

2 T orange extract.

Follow instructions as for Key Lime curd.

RL`

Comments (20)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

This is great! More tart fillings. Thanks!!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Found this one stuck in a file to try but still haven't.
    MANGO CURD (2 cups)
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 TBL cornstarch
    1 cup pureed mango
    1/4 cup butter
    2 TBL fresh lemon juice
    1 TBL orange zest
    6 egg yolks, beaten

Combine the sugar & cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in the mango, butter, lemon juice & orange zest. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir 1/2 of the hot mixture into the yolks; stir the yolks into the hot mixture. Bring just to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Spoon into a bowl; cover the surface with plastic wrap. Chill until serving time.~~

• Marlen
    20 years ago

I was thuinking the same thing, Ginger. These will all make great tassie fillings.
    Roselin, I am always on the look out for key lime reciopes. I have a relative who has a couole of these trees so I get plenty of key limes.
    And fortunately one of my aunts has a mango tree as well!

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I had a mango tree too until September, 1995. My place is built on the side of a high hill & the top of the tree was right outside my front door.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

We had one too-in Hawaii. What a mess-this tree was huge and had thousands of those darn things on there every other year and once they hit the ground, the ants would get in them and they had to be thrown away. How many can a family of three eat or even give away?
    Haven't had one since. Love papayas though-wonder if you can make papaya curd???
    L

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Okay, how about chocolate??
    2/3 c water
    1 c firmly packed brown sugar
    1 1/2c Dutch Process cocoa
    2/3c whipping cream
    3 T unsalted butter
    4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    Combine brown sugar,water, and cocoa in a heavy saucepan. Gradually add whipping cream. Cook over low heat stirring with a whisk until thoroughly heated. Add butter and stir til melted. Then add the egg yolks as above. Cook over low heat for five minutes or until mixture thickens. Add vanilla. Cool
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Now you're talking! That one has all my favorite food groups in it.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Now that makes me "happy, happy"!LOL
    RL`

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Drooling over chocolate also!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, so far for a party, I see fancy little tarts and those tortilla rolls. What else do we need??
    RL`

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Roselin, how about some daiquiris? LOL

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Well, you've got a fruit thing going so how about:
    MOUNTAINTOP BANANA DAIQUIR
    2 oz Cruzan light or gold rum
    1 sliced banana
    1/2 oz Creme de Banana
    Splash of Rose's lime juice

Mix all in a blender with a cup of ice.~~

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

I will bring some tiny chocolate-cherry cheescakes. I had to do trays for a reception and used those, Ginger's lemon tassies, and small squares of brownies with buttercream icing piped on top. I stuck each of them in those paper miniature muffin cups and mixed up the varieties on the tray. They looked so pretty.

The curds are also good spread between purchased ladyfingers (I say purchased because my foray into ladyfinger making was a total failure).

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, sounds like we have a good party going here. Daiquiris-boy, does that bring back memories. I met Keith in Japan and almost every weekend, the guys a gals there would get together and have a party of some sort and those were the drink of choice!
    Think we need something savory-will have to give it some thought.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Ruthanna, I bet that did make a pretty tray! If you want to try Ladyfingers again, this is a recipe I've made with great results, thanks to Craig Claiborne. His Madeleines recipe is a winner too.

LADYFINGERS (about 18 whole lLadyfingers)
    1/2 cup sifted cake flour
    2/3 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
    Pinch of salt
    3 eggs, separated
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together 3 times the flour, half of the sugar & the salt.
    Beat the whites until stiff & gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Beat the yolks until thick & lemon colored & fold with the vanilla into the egg white mixture. Sift the flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, over the eggs & fold in carefully.
    Line ungreased baking sheets with unglazed paper. Press the batter through a pastry bag onto the paper, or shape with a spoon into strips about 4x3/4".
    Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from paper with a spatula & cool on a rack.~~ (I sift some confectioners' sugar over the tops of them when they're cool.)

• woodie
    20 years ago

You know, girls, I'm not usually a real sweets kind of a person, but you finally got me excited with the daiquiris! (I rarely look at this forum, I must have had ESP about the daiquiris) I love mangoes and would love to come to the party! Can I please come and bring my blue cheese bites just in case I'm not the only one who would like something savory with my daiquiri?

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

How about a Mango Daiquiri, Woodie?
    MANGO DAIQUIRI
    1 oz white rum
    1/2 oz Peach Brandy
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango
    1 oz gold rum
    1/2 oz Rose's Lime Juice
    1/2 cup crushed ice

Whirl all ingredients in a blender until smooth.~~

Or a Mango Tango?
    1 oz white rum
    1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
    Splash of cranberry juice
    1 oz dark rum
    1/2 cup frozen mango or peach slices
    1/2 cup crushed ice

Put all ingredients in blender & combine until smooth.~~

I'll be the designated driver.

• woodie
    20 years ago

Ginger you're really talkin' to me now!!! Thanks for the offer of the designated driver :)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Just don't barf in the back seat, OK?

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Ihave never heard of the curds until i got on this form. Thanks for all the recipes.
    Ilene

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals