Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

RECIPE: Toasted Oatmeal Cookies

roselin32
20 years ago

I made these for our guests last weekend and they were a big hit. From Southern Living years ago.

3/4 c butter

2 c quick cooking oatmeal, uncooked

1 c firmly packed brown sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 c chopped pecans

Melt butter in a skillet and cook over med. heat until lightly browned. Add oats and cook for five minutes or until oats are golden. Cool

Combine sugar, egg, and vanilla. Combine flour, and next 4 ingredients. Stir all ingredients together. Mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tsps 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a glass a little. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or til golden. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool.

Yield 3 1/2 dozen.

Comments (39)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

I never heard of toasting oatmeal for cookies before & better still this doesn't have raisins in it. Thanks!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's the browned butter that really makes them so good.
    You are welcome.
    RL

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

I will have to copy this one it is diffrent will have to try it.Thanks Roseline.
    Ilene

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Boy, these sound good and I have all the ingredients on hand. I'm usually an insoniac so if I can't sleep tonight, I will make a batch for DH to take to work tomorrow. I know cops like their donuts but I'll bet they will gobble these up!
    Thanks, Roselin!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You're very welcome. Hope they enjoy them-my husband told me that I couldn't give ALL of them to the little boy that came to visit last weekend.
    RL

• Marlen
    20 years ago

I made the cookies last night and DH took them to work this morning to share with the boys in the squad room (he is a Police Captain).
    It's official, Roselin. You can safely speed in his jurisdiction with no fear of being ticketed! LOLOL
    They are a big hit!! It is really amazing what wonderful flavor is imparted by cooking the oats in butter first.
    Thanks again!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Too funny after the Defensive Driving class today-you tell me I can speed in FL?? I was the only one in the class that has never had a ticket so the TX police will probably be watching me like a hawk. Ask your husband if he has any pull in the Lone Star State, will you??

But, am glad you liked the cookies.
    RL

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Hey! Isn't that considered attempting to bribe a police officer? I'm tellin.'

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Naw, you wouldn't-I know better. Remind me sometime and I will tell you how I DID bribe one once.
    No cookies though.

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Actually, Ginger, a lady posted once how she got out of a ticket by giving the officer some of my Chubby Hubby Cookies - I saved the posting! LOLOL
    So apparently it works! LOLOL

• Lois_MO
    20 years ago

Made your cookies this a.m. Great! I did goof and used 1 C butter, so added more flour...duh...next time I'll read more closely, but they were still great! Thanks for posting.

Lois

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Lois,
    You are welcome-glad you like them. Funny how something as simple as browning butter changes the flavor, isn't it?
    Glad they turned out for you.
    RL

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

I love oatmeal and I love toasted anything. I am always looking for a good oatmeal cookie, they are my favorites. The pecans are a big plus! Gotta try these.

Eileen

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

Thanks, Roselin. Our whole family likes oatmeal cookies. Here's the one I usually make when the candied fruit comes out (and no raisins). My grandmother used to make these to send to my dad and other relatives in WWII because they ship well and in a tin, they will stay moist.

TWO-WAY OATMEAL COOKIES

1 cup butter or margarine (not ÂspreadÂ)
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/ 2 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup applesauce
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups regular rolled oats
    1 1 / 2 cups flour
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/ 2 tsp. baking soda
    1/ 2 tsp. baking powder
    1/ 4 tsp. salt
    3/ 4 cup flaked coconut
    3/ 4 cup finely snipped pitted dates
    1 tsp. grated orange peel
    1 1/ 2 cups chopped mixed candied fruits and peels

In large bowl, cream butter and sugars thoroughly until creamy and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Mix in applesauce and vanilla. It will look curdled but donÂt worry. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and powder, and salt with wire whisk or sift together to mix. Stir in oats and walnuts. Stir oat-flour mixture into applesauce mixture and combine until blended. Divide dough in half. Add dates, coconut and orange peel to one portion and mix. Add candied fruit to other portion and mix. Drop teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees until done, about 10-15 minutes. Makes 8 to 9 dozen.

• BeverlyAL
    20 years ago

Roselin, those look good. Do you think it would work just as well if I added raisins? I know you don't like them but I really do in oatmeal cookies.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sure, Bev-go ahead and add them.
    RL`

• dances_in_garden
    20 years ago

Another recipe copied and pasted! Can I assume these are a crisp cookie?

{{gwi:336191}}

• gabriell_gw
    20 years ago

1 was interested in your recipe when I first read it but just got around to trying it.The flavor is so good!Next time I will double the recipe!Might even add chocolate chips. Gabriell

• roselin32
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Gabriell, glad you liked them and thanks for the feedback.
    RL`

• jenn
    19 years ago

Roselin,

I made the Toasted Oatmeal Cookies today, and they are delicious! We didn't have pecans so I substituted with chopped walnuts (my personal preference anyway).

Not sure if the butter browned enough, but they definitely taste "toasty". Hubby loves them too, and he's the one I made them for since he is a fan of oatmeal cookies.

I added some chocolate chips to the last tray, but I think they are actually better without them because I think the chocolate overwhelms the toasted-oatmeal flavor a bit.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jen

• lindac
    19 years ago

Having trouble figuring out how this old thread came to appear here once again....
    Even thought the recipe is wonderfull.....I can't believe it hadn't slid off the page.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Because Jenn posted to it again??? With Christmas baking soon, I'm glad it did.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Guess it was just too good a recipe to fall off! LOL.
    And there are some recipes here on Desserts that go back to 2002. Seems like we need to use this forum more.
    RL`

• lindac
    19 years ago

Maybe I need to check the archives, I guess....
    Linda C

• gabriell_gw
    19 years ago

Roselin, This recipe has become one of my favorites.I have made it many times since you first posted.Iv'e used chocolate chips and once dried cranberries.The flavor of the browned butter is wonderful.Glad to see it posted again. Gabriell

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glad to hear how much you like them, Gabriell-I agree about the browned butter. Getting feedback from folks that try the recipes here really helps and contributes to baking fun.
    Thanks a lot.
    RL`

• roselin32
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oops, meant to thank you too, Jenn and I agree-about being better with just the nuts. I do like them with the white chocolate chips too though.
    Was happy to share the recipe.
    RL`

• brant
    19 years ago

I made a double batch but they were really crumbley and wouldn't hold together very well. I double check to see if I forgot to add anything during mixing. What did I do wrong? Thanks Debbie

• midwestmom
    16 years ago

I made these toasted oatmeal cookies today and they are so delicious!

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Sounds like a great recipe. I'm going to try them today. Thanks!!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Midwestmom.........glad you liked them. I love using browned butter in recipes.
    Trudymom........let us know how you like them too.
    RL`

• posie4u
    16 years ago

Is this a crisp cookie or a soft cookie. I am asking because one of the doctors I work with is longing for the crisp oatmeal cookies his mother used to make. It would be so nice to be able to make some for him. All the recipes I have are soft. Thanks.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They have been crispy for me.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

roselin, I made these cookies last night and they were delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trudymom,
    Glad you liked them. Now if posie makes them and they get an approval from the boss, well, what more can one ask for? LOL

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Has anybody used Irish oatmeal for oatmeal cookies?

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Well, I'm sitting here eating your cookies, Roselin, and have to say thank you for a delicious new recipe. These are really delightful, crispy, great flavor and texture. They're sure to become a standard in our house. I wondered as I was shopping for ingredients what would happen with substituting regular oatmeal or as Lorna mentioned, Irish oatmeal. Have you tried other oatmeals or does the cooking in butter require the texture of the instant? I have an entire box of regular sitting in the cupboard and it looks so forlorn.

Sue

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, have never used the Irish oatmeal in them but I always use the regular oatmeal not the instant so do know that that works just fine. Glad you are enjoying them.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, have never used the Irish oatmeal in them but I always use the regular oatmeal not the instant so do know that that works just fine. Glad you are enjoying them.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz