Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Apple (Zucchini) Crisp/or Pie

Posted by Lois_MO (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 03 at 15:37

I make Apple Crisp and Apple Pie (also Fried Pies) from Zucchini!
Peel zucchini, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out center. You can use LARGE zucchini this way. Slice thinly (now they look like apple slices) and simmer for 45 min? in apple juice (I use 12 oz frozen apple juice), sugar - white and brown. Add cinnamon and some nutmeg last few minutes. Let sit to cool and use as Apple pie filling (just add the thickening). To make fried pies I use tapioca (instant) as it holds the liquid together. I have a great recipe for that crust too! (DON'T forget the cinnamon and nutmeg - that makes the difference.)

Apple Crisp
Use apple(zucchini) filling in bottom of pan and spread the following mix over "apples." (I add extra apple juice for this recipe and no thickening with "apples."

Mix together: 1 C flour, 1 C sugar, 2 tsp bak. powder, dash salt, one egg

Drizzle 1/4 C oil over this and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for 45 min.

My apple pies are delicious! No one can tell this is zucchini!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Apple (Zucchini) Crisp/or Pie

I'd love the crust recipe too. Used to be fried pie stands when I was little.

That's one way to use up all that zucchini!

o

Thanks for sending me the crust for fried pies, too. I'm going to send the link for these recipes to my sister. Her son gardens & she's always loaded with zucchini.

o

This sounds real good to me. I im like Ginger i know them as fried apple pies. I will have to try the zucchini it sounds good. And my mother in law keeps me in the zucchini this year. I have a frezzer full of zucchini bread and shreddedv and slice some as i need it for latter. And she is still gin\ving me some. Dh said he thought that he was going to turn into a zucchini.
Ilene

o

This is really interesting. I am always looking to try new things.
Thank you so much!

o

Made an apple pie today from the zucchini...think I'll go have a piece. Hope you guys enjoy the "apples" as much as I do - easier to peel and core than real apples too!

Lois

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here