Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borealis_gw

RECIPE: 'Crazy Cake'

borealis
21 years ago

Hello!

I am looking for a cake recipe that contains vinegar. I remember seeeing it in _The_Everything_Book_ (A wonderful book, but discontinued, I believe), and although I recall very litte about it, I understand that it contained vinegar and was easy to make.

If anyone is familar with this recipe or has tried it and has an opinion, then please repsond.

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Comments (7)

• ann_t
    21 years ago

You didn't say if the cake was chocolate or not, but here is a link to a cake that contains vinegar. I have not tried it.

Ann.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinegar Cake

• glenda_al
    21 years ago

Also known as Wacky Cake

Wacky Cake
    1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    5 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup cold water
    In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened. Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake at 350°F. oven until it springs back when touched lightly.

If you like, you can take a couple of hershey bars, break into pieces over the hot cake, and spread as it melts.

Cake is good by itself.

• Meryl_
    21 years ago

CRAZY CHOCOLATE CAKE

From the poster: "Use cake flour for best results."

3 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    2 t. baking soda
    1 t. salt
    1/2 cup cocoa
    3/4 cup oil
    1 t. vanilla
    2 T. vinegar
    2 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F for dark pans).

Lightly grease and flour pans.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl. Then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and mix until smooth.
    Pour into two cupcake pans, two 9-inch pans, or one 9x11-inch pan.
    Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes for cupcakes, 30 minutes for 9-inch, or 50 minutes for 9x11-inch. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center. Toothpick should come out clean.
    Remove cupcakes and 9-inch cakes from pans and cool on wire rack. Cool 9x11-inch in pan on wire rack.
    Ice with favorite frosting.

Adapted from my files.

• borealis
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hello!

Thank you all for you input. The link to "vinegar cake" was checked, but it looks as though Yahoo! Geocities has blocked access to this page. At first the page can be seen for about one - two seconds, and then a message appears saying it is unavailable.

Thans again, and happy gardening!

Borealis

• ann_t
    21 years ago

Not sure why the link isn't working for you. It still works for me. Here is the recipe that was at that link.

Ann.

Vinegar Cake

Chocolate, moist and flavorful.

The grandchildren would love to make this cake when they visit. It is fascinating to put vinegar into a cake, and it is just the right size. For a two layer cake double the recipe.

Ingredients
    5 tblsp. butter, melted

1-1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 unsweetened cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tblsp. cider vinegar

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup water

Confectioner's sugar for topping

Stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix the vinegar, vanilla and water together and then add to the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, and using a large spoon, mix the batter well for about a minute until the batter is smooth and creamy. Pour into a round cake pan that has been well greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done in the center. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan, or it will stick. Dust with confectioners sugar, or frost with your favorite icing.

We always used a broom straw to stick into the center of the cake and if it lifted out clean, without the batter sticking to the straw it was considered cooked in the center. Today broom straws are not readily available, nor as sanitary I suspect. Many use toothpicks for this job today. Another usual cake baking job was wiping the cake pan with crisco, and sprinkling in flour and banging the pan to remove the excess. I am not sure that is a method employed in baking today.

Notice this cake has no eggs, no milk. It wasn't an expensive or difficult cake to homebake. It didn't require an electric mixer and you will be impressed at how good it tastes.

• lindac
    20 years ago

Should have had Meg make this instead of snickerdoodles....might be easier.
    Linda C

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

I am familiar with Glenda's version. I grew up eating this cake! it was a favorite at our house and the only cake my baking challenged grandmother would make.

Sponsored