Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_gw

RECIPE: looking for bakery type coffee cake

loralee
17 years ago

The coffee shops have these fabulous looking strusel topped coffee cakes, some have a swirl of filling running through them.

I have tried many different recipes and have not yet found the right one.

Do you have a good recipe?

Comments (12)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This is a good one but then I've never had a bad recipe from this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/CoffeeCake.html

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I'll ditto Roselin on that.

• loralee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh my oh my, I just gained 10# just looking. Did you see the bruch section at Joy of baking.? oh my

thanks lora

• obxgina
    17 years ago

Oh that's a keeper! As much as I bake I still miss "real" Bakeries. Where we live in NC that don't know what a bakery is. Their idea of a real bakery is the Food Lion grocery store bakeries. When I lived in Pa. bakeries were everywhere. One in particular was called Hanscom's outside of Philly, they had the best Crumb buns or crumb cake. I'll see if I can hunt down their recipe for you!

• loralee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh I would love to have your crumb cake recipe if yo can find it.

thanks

• obxgina
    17 years ago

Loralee, I've been searching for it and just found an article written by the daughter of the baker for Hanscom's. She said her father only had a few recipes in his possesion when he died and the crumb bun recipe wasn't one of them. Apparently we aren't the only people looking for it. I do however have a really good sour cream coffeecake with more like a streusel topping with cinammon, sugar, coconut and chocolate chips that I'd be happy to pass aloong if you would like. Gina

• loralee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gina, I already have a great sourcream coffee cake recipe. but thsnks for the offer and I appreciate you trying to find the other one.

Lora

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

Our family has adoped this recipe:

Cinnabon Streusel Coffee Cake

Streusel:
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
    1/2 cup butter, melted

Cake:
    2 cups cake flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter, room temperature
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup milk

To make streusel topping:
    combine crumbs, nuts, cinnamon, brown sugar, cardamom, and melted butter. Set aside.

Cake:
    combine dry ingredients, add butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk and beat two minutes.

Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 9" round, or square pan. Layer half the streusel, then add the remaining batter and repeat the streusel layer.
    Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
    The cake can be served warm or cold.

Its best with real butter! Enjoy!

Jan

• loralee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, I definitly will try your recipe. thanks for sending it.
    lora

• marylmi
    17 years ago

This is one I make all the time and no one has turned down a second piece! :)

Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Delux II yellow cake mix
    1 pkg. (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding
    2tbs. oil
    1 1/3 cups water
    2 eggs

Streusel:
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    2tbs. oleo, melted.

Preheat oven to 375

In large bowl, mix cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs. Beat 2 minutes at med. speed. Spread 3/4 of the batter evenly in a tube pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Combine streusel ingredients, sprinkle 2/3 cup over the batter. Spread remaining batter over streusel and top with the remaining streusel mixture. Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 375 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes, remove from pan. Glaze top.

Glaze:
    Blend 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 1 tbs. (or more) of milk. Drizzle over cake. Sometimes I sprinkle ground nuts on top of the glaze.

• shaun
    17 years ago

I know this is late but here is a recipe for Starbucks Classic Coffee Cake and it's delicious! I got the recipe online several years ago.

Starbucks Classic Coffee Cake
    You may find slight variations of the cake at different Starbucks locations. Sometimes there is a ribbon of cinnamon running through the middle of the cake, and sometimes the cake is dusted with a bit of powdered sugar. You'll also find some versions with a few chopped pecans in the topping; and that's the version here.
    Topping
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    Cake
    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1. Make topping by combining 1 cup flour with brown sugar, a stick of softened butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mixture should have the consistency of moist sand. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
    2. In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
    3. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little bit at a time. Add milk and mix well.
    4. Spoon the batter into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
    5. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter. Be sure the topping completely covers the batter.
    6. Bake cake for 50 minutes, or until the edges just begin to turn light brown. Cool and slice into 8 pieces.

• loralee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

its never too late to add another good recipe. got to try the star bucks one. their cakes always look so good.

Loralee

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida