Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: A favorite company dessert - Frozen Truffle Loaf

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

I've made this many times for company. Unfortunately I can't eat it because of the Kahlua but guests seem to love it. I think it came from Above & Beyond Parsley, but not sure. It MUST be made in advance.

FROZEN TRUFFLE LOAF (serves a LOT)

12 oz semisweet chocolate chips

1 stick butter or margarine

4 egg yolks

3/4 cup milk

3 TBL Kahlua

1 TBL instant expresso powder

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup shaved or grated chocolate + more for garnish

Raspberry puree (to pool on the dessert plate)

Fresh raspberries to garnish

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, emlte chocolate & butter until smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. In a 3 qt saucepan, whisk yolks. Add milk & simmer over low heat, stirring until mixture thickens & coats a spoon well, about 8 minutes. Do not let mixture curdle.

Stir in melted chocolate, liqueur & expresso powder. Cover mixture w/plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

Spray a loaf pan with vegetable spray & line w/plastic wrap. Whip cream. When chocolate mixture is cool, fold in 1/3 cup whipped cream to lighten it. Fold in remaining whipped cream & 1/2 cup grated chocolate until blended. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap & freeze overnight or until firm.

To serve, pour some raspberry sauce on a dessert plate. Place a slice of chocolate truffle on top & garnish with grated chocolate & fresh raspberries, if you have them.~~

Comments (12)

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Triple Wow, Ginger! Another sure winner.

• pixistix
    20 years ago

Sounds heavenly Ginger! (another heart buster!?!) Would you say this is at all similar to your slices of sin, but frozen? (taste, texture?) And, so you could indulge ~ and those of us who don't like to use liqueur, have you tried substituting anything else for the kahlua? Thanks for another (guilt-laden) recipeLOL!

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ginger-do you not eat it because you don't like the flavor of Kahlua? Why not use some of your vanilla and make a vanilla syrup to substitute?? You could just leave out the coffee and wouldn't even need to substitute for that unless you wanted to add a bit more vanilla.
    I'm a coffee drinker so this is right up my alley! Low calorie and all! LOL
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I don't drink at all so I've never tasted it. It's been a hit so I haven't played around with this since it's a success on its own. It's lighter in color than Slices of Sin. I'm sure you could use another liqueur but something that goes with the coffee flavor. I do like coffee in chocolate desserts which is the only thing I do like the flavor of coffee in.

If anyone makes any substitute in it, let me know how it turns out (I do tend to sample the whipped cream when I make it.)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I don't think I have your Slices of Sin recipe, Ginger-will you post it again,please.
    Thanx.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sure, Roselin. This is really good for entertaining because you can make it 2-3 days ahead & keep in the refrigerator:
    SLICES OF SIN (serves 10-12)
    8 oz semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 sticks butter, (1/2 lb)
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    Preheat oven to 350°. Line a glass loaf pan w/foil; butter the foil. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter & sugar, stirring until the butter is melted. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert wil rise & fall as it cools. When cool, wrap the pan well & refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, beat the cream until stiff (can flavor with 2-3 tsp brandy, but I just used vanilla & a little sugar). Unmold the loaf & slice. Garnish w/cream.~~

• roselin32
    20 years ago

How did I ever miss this one?? Sinful, that's what it is. But will try it anyhow.
    Thanx.
    RL`

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Ginger, These sounds good. I think i might just fly over and i will being my fork with me.
    Ilene

• happytime_ca
    20 years ago

Ginger; This sounds really good. I want to make it for Labor Day weekend, can I make it now how long will it stay fresh in the frezzer?

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I suppose it would if you make sure you wrap it really well & air-tight. I've only made it & frozen it a couple of days before serving.

• happytime_ca
    20 years ago

Well I made it on Thursday for Sunday, wrapped it well, & it is heavenly, It was really hot on Sunday & we had been at a local Wine Harvest celebration all day, then back to my house for dinner. It was a great way to end a very hot day & warm evening. Thanks for the recipe

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm