Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: Madelines recipe

chery2
16 years ago

MARTHA STEWART'S baking book contains one recipe for Madelines. You have to have a special baking pan for them, so that they look like [roughly] a sea shell when you dump them out of the pan. The recipe didn't look that impressive, but I just got some silicone bakeware that included a pan for six Madelines, so I'm anxious to try them. So far as I can tell, they're just cookies in a different shape.

If anyone has made Madelines and would share a recipe, please do.

chery2

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

They're really not a cookie as I think of a cookie, more like a small sponge cake. I've made this recipe a ton of times when you don't have enough pans the 2nd batch has a heavy bottom & won't be nearly as good. However, try halving the recipe. I've never baked with silicone bakeware & have always used the metal kind.

MADELEINES (3 1/2 -4 dozen)
    4 eggs, room temperature
    Pinch of salt
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup flour (regular all-purpose)
    1/4 lb butter, melted & cooled

Grease well & flour pans for 4 dozen madeleines. If only half this many pans are available, cut the recipe in half & make it again. This is because the butter, on standing, settles to the bottom & causes a heavy rough layer. Place racks near the bottom of the oven & preheat the oven to 400°.

Beat the eggs with the salt, adding sugar gradually, until the mixture stands in very stiff peaks. Add vanilla.

Sift about 1/4 of the flour at a time over the egg mixture & fold it in just until no flour shows (don't overmix.)

Add the butter about a TBL at a time & fold it in as quickly as possible. Fill the prepared pans aboutr 3/4 full, place in oven immediately & bake until light brown, about 10 minutes.~~Craig Claiborne

• chery2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginger, I'm just getting around to making these for our church picnic. New preacher's son has a peanut allergy, so we've been asked not to bring anything containing nuts. This should fill the bill. [I grieve when I think of BROWNIES w/o nuts, don't you?]

Thanks,
    chery

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Oh, even a plain brownie isn't the worst thing to come across. LOL These aren't the thing to make too far ahead unless you freeze them. They'd still be good but better eaten the day they're made.

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I use basically the same receipe (joy of cooking), but add a little lemon zest. I love Madelines, but they can be a headache to make. They stick in the metal pans like nothing I've ever made. I have a heavy metal, French Madeline pan, but can't keep them from sticking.

They taste delicious anyway,

Jane

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

It is true that Madelines are actually little cakes. It is important to add the melted butter slowly, whilst beating continually. And, as somebody mentioned, they will stick if the pans were not generously buttered. They do take a bit of time to prepare, but a good Maeline is delightful.

• chery2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still haven't tried my silicone Madelines pan. Should take care of the sticking problem, I guess.

chery

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz