Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

RECIPE: Slice & Bake Lemon Crisps

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

Was tossing the carton from Land 'o Lakes & found this one inside. They're REALLY good cookies!

SLICE & BAKE LEMON CRISPS (6 1/2 dozen)

3/4 cup Land o Lakes unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 TBL grated lemon peel

1 1/2 cups flour

Sugar or powdered sugar

Combine butter & sugar in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until creamy (1-2 minutes.) Add egg & lemon peel; continue beating until well mixed (1-2 minutes.) Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until soft dough forms (2-3 minutes.)

Divide dough in 1/2. Shape each 1/2 into 8" log (1 1/2" diameter) on lightly floured surface. Wrap tightly in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350°. Cut rolls into 1/8-1/4" slices with sharp knife. Place 1" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet. Roll cookies in sugar while still warm & again when cool. Variation: Stir 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds into dough after mixing in flour.~~

Comments (28)

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Sounds like they would go very nicely with a cup of tea-or coffee-or just by themselves! LOL
    DSK is making a big dent in the sugar cookies I made the other day so will need a new one to try soon.
    Thanx.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

What's DSK? Dear stepkid?

• roselin32
    20 years ago

No, that is my Dear Sweet Keith-isn't that how everyone refers to their husband?
    RL~

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

This sounds pretty good to me. And i think that it would go good with a cup og coffee.
    Ilene

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

Well, maybe if my DH's name was Keith. If I referred to Karl as Dear Sweet Keith, he may get a little upset. :)
    Lisa

• roselin32
    20 years ago

What an intolerant man you are married to, Lisa-how funny.
    That got my day going with a smile though!!LOL
    RL`

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Ginger, saw that same recipe and almost saved it. Didn't understand the instructions to "roll cookies in sugar while still warm & again when cool." How do you roll slices?

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Small bowl of sugar, place the cookie in it & flip over. They're thin so the edges don't matter. unlike cookie balls.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

I have these in the refrigerator. I'll be baking them tomorrow. It's been a Ginger weekend around my house. :)

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Let me know how they turned out for you. I really liked them & baked each 1/2 on separated days.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

They are really good. A light, buttery crisp cookie perfect with a cup of tea (Just happen to be drinking earl grey today).
    When I made the dough, it was extremely soft. I had to roll it in plastic wrap to get it to roll out, but after sitting overnight in the refrigerator, it sliced easy and made very pretty little cookies.
    They have enough sugar after the first rolling, so I won't be rolling them again.
    Thanks for the recipe, Ginger. I am going to also try them with orange zest. (Or maybe lime or grapefruit...LOL)
    Lisa

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think lime or orange would be good. Not sure about grapefruit. LOL I used powdered sugar to roll them in but might use regular next time. Glad you liked them.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

I didn't even notice the "or powdered sugar" I might try it that way next time!
    I was wondering if it would be possible to put some kind of a very light glaze on them???? Maybe powdered sugar, water and a drop of lemon juice?
    Lisa

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Lisa, "tweaking" the recipe, are we?? LOL
    Sounds like good idea though.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think the glaze would be good. Check out the filling in the cookie recipe below, too. (The cookies sound good also.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini lemon sandwich cookies

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

LOL RL!
    Lisa

• Lisa_in_Germany
    20 years ago

Ginger, those sound great. They are next on the list.
    Lisa

• Ilene29
    20 years ago

Ginger,
    I am planing to make these tomarrow.I was looking for something with lemon today and could'nt find any thing that i wanted in some of my recipe books.
    Ilene

• gabriell_gw
    20 years ago

I'm going out of town this weekend with a group of peoplw.I've made a cake and these lemon cookies for the first time.They are wonderful!Also made again the toasted oatmeal cookies.I love these forums!What good ideas I find. Gabriell

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Roselin's Toasted Oatmeal Cookies are definitely a keeper. I took them to work & only managed to get a couple for myself. Glad you liked the lemon cookies, too.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ginger, can't believe you ate something without whipped cream!! Glad you liked them. I still have that free pass for speeding thru Florida from Marlen's husband because of those cookies!! LOL
    RL`

• Annie_TX
    20 years ago

Well, now I need to open up my Land O'Lakes butter to see what recipe is inside of them!! Curiosity!!!
    However, just to be on safe side, I'm copying the recipe you have listed.

I think that super fine sugar would stick on the cookies possibly easier than the regular grind sugar???!! What do you think?
    I have both so will test to see.

Might also do some in the Orange and LIme. Have them all in refrig. right now.

Ginger, the folks at your employment,the neighborhood and 3D friends much love you dearly with all of your great recipes. You are much too thin to be downing them all.....I know ,because, I do eat nearly all of my viddles and it shows...LOL

Hugs,

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, Annie! And you might be right about the sugar. I'd like to hear which you prefer. (I'm not THAT thin any more.)

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

There are lots and lots of good looking recipes on the Land O Lakes website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Land O Lakes

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

There sure are!

• gabriell_gw
    20 years ago

Having made this cookie and really loving it,would it be possible to make roll of dough and store in freezer.It would be great to be able to take it out when fresh cookies are needed.What do you great cooks think.Or Ginger have you ever tried thia? Gabriell

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I haven't done it but plan on trying to next time I'm in baking mode. It should work just fine, I would think.

• Cindy_Mac
    20 years ago

Gabriell, that's the beauty of most refrigerated doughs ... they freeze beautifully and actually make slicing easier.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022