Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Oatmeal cake

Posted by Ilene29 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 03 at 10:20

OATMEAL CAKE
1 cup quick cook oats (uncooked)
1 stick butter

pour 1 1/4 cups boiling water over oats and butter and let stand in covered container for 20 min.

add eggs 2
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put in greassed 13x9- inch pan. Bake in 350 oven till done. About 25 to 30 min.

Topping
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup nuts
1 cup cocoanut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix and spread on hot cake. Put under broiler for about 5 min. You need to watch this colely because it may not take the 5 min.

Ilene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Oatmeal cake

Ilene,have you taken this out of the oven yet?? I'll be over soon!LOL Sounds good.
RL

o

That's an unusual one, Ilene. Does it rise much? I mean is it really like a cake or more like a bar cookie recipe? Sounds really good.

o

Its like a cake and it is real good. I have'nt made this in awhile Roselin but when i do i will let you now and you can come over .
It was one of my mom's recipe.
Ilene

o

I thought it might be. Funny how food brings back memories, huh?

o

This is a very good cake. My mom used to make it. It is so moist and rich...awesome. My recipe is so close to yours it's probably silly to post it but I will so you can see. It's funny, just the other day I considered making this and decided to wait until Fall:

Oatmeal Cake

1 cups water
1 cup quick oats
1 stick butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cups flour
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix together water and oats, bring to a boil. Let cool 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

TOPPING:

1 cup brown sugar
cup cream
cup butter
coconut (to thicken)

Combine all ingredients and cook just a few minutes. Pour over cake and put in oven until topping bubbles (just a few minutes).

Mar

o

Ilene, this sounds wonderful and easy also. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here