Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charityoh

LOOKING for: Mexican wedding cake cookies??

charityoh
21 years ago

anyone have this ??

Comments (10)

• woodny
    21 years ago

Being ½ Mexican my self but with a mother that is 100% and very into tradition I have never seen these served at a wedding. What most people call "Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies" I have always known as "Russian Tea Cakes". I did grow up with "Polvorones" wich is similar and a traditional Mexican cookie. Anyway here are the recipes for both:

Russian Tea Cakes
    from Betty Crocker
    1 cup stick margarine or butter softened
    ½ cup powder sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
    ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
    ¼ tsp salt
    powdered sugar

heat oven to 400
    mix butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in a bowl. Stir in flour nuts and salt until dough holds together.
    Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place about an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
    Bake 10-12 minutes or until set but not browned. Remove from cookie sheet and cool slightly on a wire rack.
    Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack and roll in powdered sugar again.

Polvorones
    Cinnamon Tea Cakes
    1 cup butter
    ½ cup powdered sugar
    2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar mixed with 1 TBS cinnamon for rolling.

Cream butter add sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt & vanilla to make a moderately stiff dough. Cover tightly. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. When chilled roll into 1 inch balls. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400 for 14-17 minutes. While still warm roll the cookies in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Cool on a wire rack and them roll in sugar and cinnamon again. Makes about 4 dozen

• Marilyn_Cole
    21 years ago

My recipe is slightly different. I love these things.

Swedish Teacakes (Mexican Wedding Cakes)

1 cup butter, softened
    ½ cup powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 cup finely chopped nuts
    additional powdered sugar

In mixing bowl; cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in salt, nuts and flour until dough holds together. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes until set but not brown. Cool slightly, roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely; roll again in powdered sugar. Must use butter in this recipe. Nuts are required also. Makes about 4½ dozen. 2 measuring teaspoons leveled for each cookie makes the perfect size

• charityoh
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks a bunch will try them all!!!!!!

• Marlen
    21 years ago

I agree with woodny a thousand percent! These however are my favorite cookies and I have been making them for years. These are the recipes I use.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 confectioners' sugar cup PLUS additional for coating
    2 cups sifted flour
    1 cup finely chopped nuts
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Dash salt

Preheat oven to 325* F.
    In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, nuts, vanilla and salt just until blended. Shape into small balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until very lightly browned. While cookies are warm, roll to coat in additional confectioners' sugar. Cool. Roll again in confectioners sugar. Makes about 3-1/2 dozen cookies
    Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup ground pecans
    1/2 cup German sweet chocolate, grated
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup German sweet chocolate, grated

In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground pecans, 1/2 cup ground chocolate, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies are firm to the touch. Cool 1 minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack. For the coating, sift 1/2 cup of the confectioner's sugar and 1/4 cup of the ground cocoa into a shallow bowl. While cookies are still warm, roll them in the coating. Makes 16 cookies

• Windyonthehillside
    21 years ago

Marilyn Cole, I want to thank you for the Mexican Wedding Cakes recipe. I made them and served them at a Mexican-themed dinner last night, and everyone loved them! They were so easy to make and delicious!
    ...from another Marilyn (also a Leo) :)

• danain
    21 years ago

Thank you Marilyn for the feed back! Very nice of you.

Marilyn

• brinked_gmail_com
    16 years ago

thanks for the great recipes..will try them out

Here is a link that might be useful: wedding cookies

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

I have the same recipe as Marlen and love these cookies simple and delicious!!!!!!!!!!

• hippie_chickie
    16 years ago

Thanks! These have always been my favorite cookies but I could never find a good recipe!

And to Woodny... I have heard these called both "Russian Tea" and "Mexican Wedding" cookies. The funny thing is, I know many Mexican-Americans whose parents were born in Mexico, and they didn't know what I was talking about! lol... it must just be "a name."

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out my family's homepage with FREE recipes!

• chiroptera_mama
    16 years ago

I love Russian Tea Cookies. DH is a chocolate fan so I will split the finished dough in half and add about 1/2 cup of powdered cocoa to one of the halves. Then I mix equal parts cocoa and powdered sugar for rolling in after. I like to roll both the regular and chocolate ones in both coating so I end up with four types of cookies for just a little bit more effort.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals