Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_st_thomas

LOOKING for: Best Cookie/Bar recipes?

ginger_st_thomas
20 years ago

Do you have a favorite bar cookie recipe or one you've been meaning to try but haven't had a chance to? Here's one I want to try (along with Roselin's Raspberry Bars she just posted.

BUTTERSCOTCH CREAM CHEESE BARS

2 cups butterscotch chips

1/3 cup butter

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup chopped pecans

8 oz cream cheese, softened

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (such as Eagle brand)

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

Combine the butterscotch chips & butter in a saucepan.

Cook over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs & pecans.

Press 1/2 of the crumb mixture over the bottom of a greased 9x13" baking pan.

Beat the cream cheese in a mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the condensed milk, egg & vanilla.

Beat until blended. Spread over the prepared layer. Top w/the remaining crumb mixture.

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25-30 mintues or until a toothpick iserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Chill, covered in the refrigerator before cutting into bars.~~

Comments (28)

• janet_ks
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One of my favorites is something we call Magic Cookie Bars. I'm sure you've all seen the recipe -- it's butter and graham crackers on the bottom, then layered with sweetened condensed milk, walnuts, coconut and chocolate chips. Baked so everything kind of melts together and then cut into bars when cooled.

Janet

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks! I haven't seen it but it looks easy enough. Do you know the measurements or is it an eyeball kind of thing?

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

Found it on the Eagle Brand site:

Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars

This Eagle Brand best-loved classic is a favorite of kids and adults for its deliciously unique taste. Eagle Brand is the magic ingredient in this easy cookie bar recipe. This recipe includes butterscotch chips, which can be substituted with nuts, M&M's, Oreo pieces...you name it!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Servings: Makes 24 to 36 bars

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 (14-oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
    1 cup (6-oz.) butterscotch flavored chips
    1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped nuts

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°, (325° for glass dish). In 13x9-inch baking pan, melt butter in oven.

Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour Eagle Brand evenly on top of crumbs. Top with remaining ingredients in order listed; press down firmly with fork.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill if desired. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.

Tip: For perfectly cut cookie bars line entire pan (including sides) with a sheet of aluminum foil first. When bars are baked, cool; lift up edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into individual squares. Lift off of foil.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Guess it's not exactly low-cal, but sure looks good. Thanks!

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

I've had these. They were a standard offering at Christmas during my teens. I have never made them (dangerous, I'll eat the whole thing) but have eaten my share. They are very good.

Not lo-cal!

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Here is a link to a number of Bar/Square Cookies that was posted on the Cooking forum recently. The Graham Cracker Chewies are a big hit with everyone who has made them.

Ann

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I posted to the Bar/Cookies thread so I'm aware of it. Pictures sometimes freeze my computer up but thanks anyway.

• janet_ks
    20 years ago

Thanks for posting the recipe Eileen -- it sounds just like the one I use, except mine doesn't call for butterscotch chips.

No, they're not low-cal (LOL), but they are good. Hope you enjoy them!!

Janet

• ann_t
    20 years ago

Eileen, I haven't made them lately but I have always liked Magic Bars. I never use the butterscotch chips but add double the chocolate instead.

Ann

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Ginger, this is the recipe I have used for years for Magic Cookies. This one is very tried and very true.

Magic Cookie Bars

1/2 c. margarine or butter
    1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut (1 1/3 c.)
    1 c. nuts, chopped
    1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for glass dish). In 13 x 9 inch baking pan, melt margarine in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over margarine; mix together and press into pan. Top evenly with remaining ingredients in order listed, ending by pouring the sweetened condensed milk evenly over all. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly before cutting. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

For 7-Layer bars, add 12 cup of butterscotch chips.
    I got this recipe from my Canadian friend Helen. They are wonderful!

NANAIMO BARS

Bottom Layer:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp. cocoa
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp Vanilla
    2 cups graham wafer crumbs
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Middle Layer:
    2 Tbsp vanilla pudding powder
    1/2 cup soft butter
    2 cups icing sugar
    1/4 cup milk

Top Layer:
    1 Tbsp butter
    4 - 5oz. semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate bars

Bottom Layer: In a double boiler, melt butter, sugar, cocoa; add egg and vanilla and cook until thickened. Add crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press into buttered 9-inch square pan and chill for about 15 minutes.
    Middle Layer: Beat together butter, pudding mix powder, sugar and milk and spread evenly over bottom layer. Chill 15 minutes.
    Top Layer: Melt chocolate with butter; cool slightly and gently spread over second layer. Chill until just set. Score with a sharp knife, then cut into squares. (Can be frozen for up to 6 months)
    Variations:
    Cherry Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Kirsch and red food coloring.
    Mint Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Creme de Menthe & green food coloring.
    Grand Marnier Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Grand Marnier
    Pecan Pie Bars

1 package yellow cake mix
    1/2 cup butter melted
    1 egg
    Filling
    2/3 cup reserved cake mix
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups dark corn syrup
    1 teas. vanilla extract
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350. Generously grease w/ shortening a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix (minus 2/3cup reserved for filling) with melted butter and egg. Mix well and spread evenly into the greased baking pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20min.
    Meanwhile, prepare the pecan filling: In a large mixer bowl, combine the reserved cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla & 3 eggs. Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer for about 2min.
    Pour filling over the partially baked crust. Sprinkle with the rather finely chopped pecans. Return to the 350-degree oven and bake for 30-35 additional min. or until filling is set. Cool; cut into bars.
    Source: Everyday Cook Recipes

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I shouldn't have posted this. Dropped 2 dress sizes since my vacation but I'll probably gain 3 trying the Magic Cookie Bars, the Raspberry Squares & those Pecan Pie Bars. Thanks (I think.) LOL

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Ginger, you are amazing! I usually gain during vacation! LOLOL
    And you already looked like a model - you must look like a super model now! LOLOL

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

The butterscotch chips must be the standard around here, I've never encountered this recipe without their inclusion, I think I'd miss 'em! Nothing wrong with lots of chocolate, though. Potent and addictive little devils these are!

Eileen

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

With fresh plums in season now, this is a good way to use them up.

ROSY PLUM STREUSEL SQUARES

1 3/ 4 cups oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
    1 1/ 2 cups flour
    1/ 2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    3/ 4 cup (1 1/ 2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
    1/ 4 tsp almond extract (optional)

FILLING:

2 cups thinly sliced fresh plums (3-4 medium)
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. flour
    1/ 3 cup raspberry preserves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. For crust and streusel, combine first 4 ingredients; mix well. Add combined butter and almond extract, mixing until moistened. Reserve 1 1/ 2 cups; set aside. Press remaining oat mixture onto bottom of 9 X 9 inch square baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.

For filling, combine plums, sugar, and flour. Stir in preserves. Spread onto crust within 1/ 2 inch of edge Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. 16 bars

ORANGE CHIPPER BARS

1 cut butter, room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    dash of salt
    2 cups flour
    1 1 /2 tsp. grated orange rind (no white part)
    1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate pieces
    1/ 2 cup chopped pecans

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg. Add combined flour and rind; mix well. Stir in chocolate pieces.

Spread dough in ungreased 15 X 10 X 1 inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with pecans; press lightly into dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool; cut into bars.

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That Orange Chipper Bar recipe might work for Bartober Fest. Thanks, Ruthanna!

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

Ginger, I thought you weren't supposed to feed dogs chocolate?

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

We might be selling PEOPLE bake sale stuff, too.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

Ruthanna, I think the plum bars sound great. I bought some Plumcots today-have you ever tried them? The gal at the store went and got a knife, cut one and gave me a piece to try. They are tasty.
    RL`

• ruthanna_gw
    20 years ago

I haven't had them yet. In the summer, I go over to the orchard stand and they only have very plain varieties of fruits. Right now, we are gorging on Sugar Plums which are just a bit large than black cherries and so sweet.

• rider
    20 years ago

True - NEVER give dogs chocolate! It is toxic and can be life threatening. Same with cats and horses. It also does not ever leave their system (a certain chemical - forgot the name of it).

• roselin32
    20 years ago

These are from Hawaii days-guaranteed to make your jeans tight!
    Jeans Bars
    Crust:
    1/2 c butter
    1 1/4 c flour
    2 T sugar
    Filling:
    1 c (13 squares) graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 c chocolate chips
    1/2 c chopped nuts
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 14 oz can condensed milk
    Frosting:
    1 1/2 c powdered sugar
    1/2 c butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    Combine crust ingredients. Press into 9x13" greased pan and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes-pour filling over crust spreading evenly. Bake 15-20 minutes til filling is golden. Cool and frost.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Would those have to be refrigerated if kept longer than a day, Roselin? They sound really good.

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I don't think so but any time I have made them, I have made them when a bunch of people were around and they never lasted overnight.
    Now when it is 105° here, I probably would.
    RL`

• Marlen
    20 years ago

Roselin, the jeans bars sound awesome! I will be making them for DH to take to his squad. Thanks heaps!

• roselin32
    20 years ago

I love keeping the police "happy happy", Marlen. LOL
    RL`

• jenn
    17 years ago

I gave the Graham Cracker Chewies to our neighbors as a hostess gift for Christmas a couple of years ago. She said she loved them so much she ate them ALL! They are easy and delicious.

I think I may make more bar cookies for the holidays this year, they are quick and easy, less muss and fuss.

Jen

• Eliza_ann_ca
    15 years ago

I can't seem to find the recipe for The Graham Cracker Chewies.The link Ann T posted says no longer available.
    Does anyone have this recipe?
    I would really appreciate someone posting it...thanks a million in advance.
    Eliza Ann

• lindac
    15 years ago

Here ya go!
    Graham Cracker Chewies
    Crust
    1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 cup butter, (1 stick), softened
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    Topping
    1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 large eggs beaten
    Preheat oven to 350°
    Prepare the crust: Stir the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and flour in a mixing bowl. Add butter and mix until moist and crumbly. Press the mixture firmly and evenly in the bottom of a 8 x 8 or 9x 9 baking pan. Bake 20 minutes.
    Prepare topping:
    Stir the brown sugar, baking powder, graham cracker crumbs, nuts and salt together. Mix eggs and vanilla, add to brown sugar mixture.
    Pour the topping over the baked crust, bake for an additional 20 minutes. Topping will still be a little jiggly and will settle as it cools. Let cool completely, then cut into squares.
    You can double the recipe and use a 13 x 9 pan.