Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Pistachio ice cream using pudding mix?

Posted by virginia7074 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 0:38

DH loves pistachio ice cream and every summer, I rediscover the Donvier ice cream maker. Last night, we tried a recipe that contained a cup of raw pistachios - blanched, peeled and whirled in a blender with milk and sugar. (We added a pinch of saffron, too.) Heat and then gradually add the hot mixture to 3 eggs and simmer it. Chill, then fold in a cup of whipped heavy cream, vanilla and almond extract.

It didn't exactly "curdle", but the consistency was kind of heavy and "mealy." Tasted fine, but not the right texture for ice cream at all.

I'm wondering if there's a way to make the ice cream base using dry pistachio pudding mix and then add toasted pistachios to it. I found a recipe that uses vanilla pudding mix, but also raw eggs, and I'm leery of raw eggs.

Anyway, if anyone has a recipe for vanilla that doesn't use raw eggs, I would adapt it and be very happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Pistachio ice cream using pudding mix?

This is from Recipelink.

ALMOND PISTACHIO ICE CREAM

2 cups milk
2 cups heavy (whipping) cream*
2 pkg (4 oz each) instant pistachio pudding mix
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
1/2 tsp almond extract

Combine all ingredients.** Refrigerate until chilled.

Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.

*You can use light or heavy cream to increase or decrease richness. For a more sherbet like texture substitute all milk for the cream.

**To lighten up the texture, retain the heavy cream; whipping it into soft peaks and folding it in just before freezing. This extra step is a plus for any pudding ice cream you plan to harden.

Makes about 1 quart
Source: Ice Cream the Whole Scoop by Gail Damerow
MSG URL: http://www.recipelink.com/msgid/118862

o

That sounds perfect, Ginger. Would work with any flavor of pudding too, I bet. Thank you!

o

You're welcome! Hope it's good.

o

Here is a recipe that works well with any flavor instant pudding.

E-Z Creamy Ice Cream

2 tall cans Milnot (evaporated milk)
1 can Eagle Brand Milk
2 packages any flavor instant pudding (regular size, not large)
enough whole milk to fill the ice cream maker can

Mix ingredients, then put in gallon ice cream freezer can.
Leave room in the top of the can for expansion. Freeze according to manufacturers directions.

French vanilla is the usual favorite, but if you can ever find orange flavored pudding mix......it's wonderful!!

o

This is mi italian perfect recipe:
http://croce-delizia.blogspot.com/2
009/06/gelato-al-pistacchio.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Croce & Delizia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here