Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Can you freeze peach pie filling?

Posted by quandary (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 22:01

I just made a fresh peach pie with locally grown peaches. I'd like to prepare fillings for several pies and freeze in individual ziplock bags. I'd love to be able to bake one of these delicious pies in the dead of winter. Has anyone tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Can you freeze peach pie filling?

You sure can.

o

Thanks!

o

A good thing to do is to fill a pie plate with the filling....freeze it solid, pop it out of the pie plate and wrap and freeze.
Then when you want to make a fresh peach pie in January, you just make the crust, and place the partially thawed filling into the crust....you have exactaly the amount you need and you don't have to wait for the filling to completely thaw.
Remember, frozen fruit is juicier than fresh, so add a little more thickener.
Linda C

o

Thanks, Linda -- that's a great idea. Should I line the pie pan with plastic wrap, so it'd be easier to remove? Isn't it necessary to let the filling thaw completely before I bake it? My crust will be at room temperature.

o

yes line the pan with plastic wrap..then fold the wrap over the filling, then put in the freezer, when solid, pop out of pan, and place inside freezer bags.
You will have a much longer baking time if you use the frozen pie filling. Some schools say to thaw the filling over night and then bake. But that would negate the point in freezing first in a pie pan/dish. I often just put the filling into a ziploc and freeze.
Try it both ways and see, what works best for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here