Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Rhubarb: what to make?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 10:59

I picked up some rhubarb at a farmers market. I have a bundle the size of a small bunch of celery. Apart from strawberry rhubarb pie, what can I make with it? (I am not fond of cooked strawberries: seems like a waste when they are so good fresh). Im thinking of a cobbler or crumble but am open to suggestions. I have a lot of home grown peaches in the freezer; will those go? Or does rhubarb stand alone if you add enough sugar? I have never cooked it myself so dont know what proportions to use. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Rhubarb: what to make?

Friend gave me rhubarb, and this is one I found, which is on my baking agenda this weekend.
---------------------------------------------------

DESSERT RECIPE: Tammy's BEST and EASY Rhubarb Cake
Sent in by Tammy Wallace, Thanks

1-White Cake Mix of your favorite brand, I use Pillsbury or Betty Crocker with pudding in the mix.
4-cups chopped fresh rhubarb, (may use frozen but fresh is best!)
1-cup granulated sugar
2-cups whipping cream, from carton, Do Not Whip!

Preheat oven to 350*F
Prepare cake mix as directed on box
Pour into 13 x 9 pan or same size glass dish
Spread ... distribute the chopped rhubarb on top of cake mix batter
Sprinkle rhubarb with sugar
Pour the 2 cups of whipping cream evenly over the rhubarb/sugar mixture
Bake at 350*F about 40 45 minutes or until center springs back SOFTLY

Great served warm! Cake needs to be stored in refrigerator. This is a family favorite for me!

o
RE: LOOKING for: Rhubarb: what to make?

Glenda, if you are there, did you ever make the cake? I was wondering how it turned out.

I still have the rhubarb but finally bought the cake mix and the whipping cream today. But I was shopping from memory and only picked up a small carton of whipping cream, did not notice until just now that it calls for 2 cups. I wonder if I can substitute sour cream for half of it?

o
substitute

Did a search, on whipping cream substitute, and none said Sour Cream. I was thinking it would be too thick.

Here's what I found, in numerous sites

1/3 cup butter -melted- plus 3/4 cup milk can be substituted for 1 cup cream (in baking and cooking).

No, I haven't made it yet :o(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here