Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Homemade Ice Cream

Posted by Lisbet (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 04 at 8:18

Does anyone remember Holiday Pudding Ice Cream that used to come out in stores mostly at Christmas and Easter times?
Do you have a good recipe? If so, would you mind sharing it?

With the hot weather, I am thinking "Ice Cream" that I can make in my kitchen in my White Mountain bucket freezer. Am also interested in what type of ice cream maker do you use?
Have been told that the old-time crank type turns out better tasting/texture creams than the new, self-contained electric units. I understand that the ratio between the chipped ice and rock salt have a great deal to do with the the quality of the end product.

How about it....any Ice Cream enthusiasts out there????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Homemade Ice Cream

I don't remember the holiday ice cream at all. Does it use pudding in the recipe? I had the regular hand-crank kind but it blew away in a hurricane in '95. Now I have the kind the has the insert you freeze & a Cuisinart kind (I think) that hasn't made it out of the box.
SINFULLY SCRUMPTIOUS ICE CREAM
4 cups + 3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 egg yoks, well bezten
4 cups mashed peaches or stawberries (I've used frozen)

Scald the 3/4 cup cream with the milk in the top of a double boiler over direct heat. Add the sugar & salt. Pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the beaten yolks. Add the yolks to the milk mixture & over simmering water cook until thickened to a custard consistency (coating the back of a spoon.) Remove from the heat & cool. Mix the mashed fruit with the remaining 4 cups cream. Blend into the cooled custard.
If using a manual freezer, fill container 3/4 full. Pack ice & rock salt around the edges, using 3 parts ice to 1 part salt. When the crank gets too hard to turn & the ingredients have solidified to a soft ice cream stage, remove the dasher & pack down the ice cream. Repack fresh ice & salt around the sides, wrap in burlap or newspaper & let stand 1 hour. Freeze in paper cartons. For an electric ice cream freezer, follow the manufacturer's directions.~~

PEPPERMINT ICE CREAM
2 cups whole milk, divided
1 TBL cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBL vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
12-16 oz pkg peppermint hard candy

Soak peppermint candy in cream to melt. Scald 1 1/2 cups milk. In top of double boiler, mix sugar & cornstarch well. Add yolks & 1/2 cup milk & mix well. Add scalded milk slowly to yolk mixture & cook, stirring over simmering water until mixture coats spoon. Cool. Add cream. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.~~
HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM (1 1/2 gallons)
1 qt milk
3 cups sugar
5 3ggs, beaten
1 TBL vanilla
3 cups half-and-half
3 cups whipping cream
Optional: toasted coconut, toasted almonds, Kahlua

Heat milk & sugar in a suacepan until hot & sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. Stir a little of the hot milk into the beaten eggs. Add eggs to remaining hot milk in saucepan & stir well. Remove from heat & cool. Add vanilla & refrigerate. (Keeps for several days.) When ready to freeze, stir in half-and-half, whipping cream & any optional ingredients. Pour into a hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze per manufacturer's directions.~~ (If you have a small freezer, keep the mixture in the refrigerator & make as needed.)

Haven't made this one but thought the additions were interesting:
GOURMET ICE CREAM (1 1/2 qts.)
2 cups half-and-half
6 egg yolks
2/3 cups sugar
1 cup whipping cream, chilled
One of the following: 1/4 cup brandy, 2 tsp vanilla, 8 oz semisweet melted chocolate + 1/4 cup bourbon, or 1/4 cup cream sherry or 2 oz candied lemon peel + 3 oz toasted almonds

Heat half-and-half in top of double boiler until bubbles form around edge of pan. Beat yolks & sugar until thick & pale. Add 1/2 cup of hot half-and-half to yolk mixture. Stir well. Pour yolk mixture into top of double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat & add your choice of flavorings. Stir in whipping cream. Cool to room temperature. chill at least 4 hours. Pour into container of a hand-turned or electric ice cream freezer. Freeze per manufacturer's directions.~~ From Food for Thought.

o

Really nice recipes! Thank you very much!

I think I could improvise and experiment to re-create that Holiday Pudding Ice Cream. It was something like fruit cake, only in ice cream form. Maybe it did have a pudding mix in it...therefore, it had pudding in its name. I know it had a rum flavor. Think I will try Rum-Raisin and add a few dried cherries, nuts, and candied pineapple bits. Anyway, it was *SO* delicious that DH and I have never forgotten it! That Gourmet Ice Cream sounds WONDERFUL, and is worth trying, even though hubby and I do not normally imbibe, we did love the rum flavor in that ice cream. Also like a good rum cake.

Let me know how you like your new Cuisinart. That is exactly what I had in mind buying....until I was told that the old fashioned crank type puts out better ice cream. Still think I might get it for quickness, and not so much mess and effort!

o

I don't think you can beat the old-fashioned kind but maybe that's because of fond memories of it, at least to me.

o

Lisbet, Here's a thread that you might have missed on the Cooking forum with some good Ice cream recipes.

And a link to a recipe for ice cream using vanilla pudding in the mix and a recipe for Fruit Cake Ice cream.

I'm sure you can come up with your own version by combining these recipes.

Ann

o

AnnT: Thanks for the suggestions. That Fruit Cake Ice Cream is a really good way to use up the gift fruit cakes at holiday times! Will tuck it away to use sometime in the future. Again, Thank You.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here