Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisbet_gw

RECIPE: Homemade Ice Cream

lisbet
19 years ago

Does anyone remember Holiday Pudding Ice Cream that used to come out in stores mostly at Christmas and Easter times?

Do you have a good recipe? If so, would you mind sharing it?

With the hot weather, I am thinking "Ice Cream" that I can make in my kitchen in my White Mountain bucket freezer. Am also interested in what type of ice cream maker do you use?

Have been told that the old-time crank type turns out better tasting/texture creams than the new, self-contained electric units. I understand that the ratio between the chipped ice and rock salt have a great deal to do with the the quality of the end product.

How about it....any Ice Cream enthusiasts out there????

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't remember the holiday ice cream at all. Does it use pudding in the recipe? I had the regular hand-crank kind but it blew away in a hurricane in '95. Now I have the kind the has the insert you freeze & a Cuisinart kind (I think) that hasn't made it out of the box.
    SINFULLY SCRUMPTIOUS ICE CREAM
    4 cups + 3/4 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    8 egg yoks, well bezten
    4 cups mashed peaches or stawberries (I've used frozen)

Scald the 3/4 cup cream with the milk in the top of a double boiler over direct heat. Add the sugar & salt. Pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the beaten yolks. Add the yolks to the milk mixture & over simmering water cook until thickened to a custard consistency (coating the back of a spoon.) Remove from the heat & cool. Mix the mashed fruit with the remaining 4 cups cream. Blend into the cooled custard.
    If using a manual freezer, fill container 3/4 full. Pack ice & rock salt around the edges, using 3 parts ice to 1 part salt. When the crank gets too hard to turn & the ingredients have solidified to a soft ice cream stage, remove the dasher & pack down the ice cream. Repack fresh ice & salt around the sides, wrap in burlap or newspaper & let stand 1 hour. Freeze in paper cartons. For an electric ice cream freezer, follow the manufacturer's directions.~~

PEPPERMINT ICE CREAM
    2 cups whole milk, divided
    1 TBL cornstarch
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 TBL vanilla extract
    2 cups heavy cream
    12-16 oz pkg peppermint hard candy

Soak peppermint candy in cream to melt. Scald 1 1/2 cups milk. In top of double boiler, mix sugar & cornstarch well. Add yolks & 1/2 cup milk & mix well. Add scalded milk slowly to yolk mixture & cook, stirring over simmering water until mixture coats spoon. Cool. Add cream. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.~~
    HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM (1 1/2 gallons)
    1 qt milk
    3 cups sugar
    5 3ggs, beaten
    1 TBL vanilla
    3 cups half-and-half
    3 cups whipping cream
    Optional: toasted coconut, toasted almonds, Kahlua

Heat milk & sugar in a suacepan until hot & sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. Stir a little of the hot milk into the beaten eggs. Add eggs to remaining hot milk in saucepan & stir well. Remove from heat & cool. Add vanilla & refrigerate. (Keeps for several days.) When ready to freeze, stir in half-and-half, whipping cream & any optional ingredients. Pour into a hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze per manufacturer's directions.~~ (If you have a small freezer, keep the mixture in the refrigerator & make as needed.)

Haven't made this one but thought the additions were interesting:
    GOURMET ICE CREAM (1 1/2 qts.)
    2 cups half-and-half
    6 egg yolks
    2/3 cups sugar
    1 cup whipping cream, chilled
    One of the following: 1/4 cup brandy, 2 tsp vanilla, 8 oz semisweet melted chocolate + 1/4 cup bourbon, or 1/4 cup cream sherry or 2 oz candied lemon peel + 3 oz toasted almonds

Heat half-and-half in top of double boiler until bubbles form around edge of pan. Beat yolks & sugar until thick & pale. Add 1/2 cup of hot half-and-half to yolk mixture. Stir well. Pour yolk mixture into top of double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat & add your choice of flavorings. Stir in whipping cream. Cool to room temperature. chill at least 4 hours. Pour into container of a hand-turned or electric ice cream freezer. Freeze per manufacturer's directions.~~ From Food for Thought.

• lisbet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Really nice recipes! Thank you very much!

I think I could improvise and experiment to re-create that Holiday Pudding Ice Cream. It was something like fruit cake, only in ice cream form. Maybe it did have a pudding mix in it...therefore, it had pudding in its name. I know it had a rum flavor. Think I will try Rum-Raisin and add a few dried cherries, nuts, and candied pineapple bits. Anyway, it was *SO* delicious that DH and I have never forgotten it! That Gourmet Ice Cream sounds WONDERFUL, and is worth trying, even though hubby and I do not normally imbibe, we did love the rum flavor in that ice cream. Also like a good rum cake.

Let me know how you like your new Cuisinart. That is exactly what I had in mind buying....until I was told that the old fashioned crank type puts out better ice cream. Still think I might get it for quickness, and not so much mess and effort!

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

I don't think you can beat the old-fashioned kind but maybe that's because of fond memories of it, at least to me.

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Lisbet, Here's a thread that you might have missed on the Cooking forum with some good Ice cream recipes.

And a link to a recipe for ice cream using vanilla pudding in the mix and a recipe for Fruit Cake Ice cream.

I'm sure you can come up with your own version by combining these recipes.

Ann

• lisbet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

AnnT: Thanks for the suggestions. That Fruit Cake Ice Cream is a really good way to use up the gift fruit cakes at holiday times! Will tuck it away to use sometime in the future. Again, Thank You.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!