Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

LOOKING for: Lemon meringue & key Lime Pie

diggerb2
15 years ago

Ok, as long as i'm here

i'll request this recipe from my youth.

we used to visit St Augustine, Fl. every year for our vacation during August (1961-1969). We always ate at a local family

restaurant and they usually had a huge pie that was my favorite: lemon meringue & key lime mixed together.

This thing was huge!!! It had a yellow layer and a green layer and was topped with a mountain of meringue (about 4 inches). If they didn't have it when we first got there

sometime during the week they made it so i could have a piece before we went home.

It sound simple enough to do.

would you suggest: make a key lime filling and bake it in a deep dish then top it with warm lemon filling, and then top with meringue(made with hot sugar syrup)and bake until browned. Or put the lemon filling on the bottom, then the lime and then the same meringue?

or do you just have a recipe?

diggerb

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You wouldn't bake the lime filling or the lemon one. They're cooked stovetop & only put in the oven long enough to brown the meringue.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

If the pie uses sweetened condensed milk & a graham cracker crust, it's baked. What you can do is bake the following key lime in a deep dish pie pan (those big, glass pie pans) holding off on the meringue & then top it with a traditional lemon pie filling, then put the meringue on top & bake until the meringue browns.

I have a good recipe for the lemon that you can use but I have to dig it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Key Lime Pie

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

FRESH LEMON MERINGUE PIE
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3/4 cups + 2 TBL cornstarch
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 egg yolks, beaten
    2 TBL butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    1 1/4 tsp lemon zest
    2 drops yellow food coloring, optional

combine 1 1/2 cups sugar & cornstarch in a 2 qt saucepan. Add the cold water & lemon juice gradually, whisking until smooth. Stir in the egg yolks. Add the butter. Add the boiling water gradually, stirring constantly.
    Bring to a boil gradually, stirring constantly. Boil just until thickened, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the zest & food coloring, if using. Spoon into the pie shell (or on top of the lime filling.) Let stand until a thin film forms over the filling then top with meringue & bake in a preheated 350° oen 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. (Watch carefully.) Let stand at room temperature away from drafts for 2 hours before serving. Store, covered in the refrigerator.~~Texas Ties

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, so i'm going to take whirl at this.
    put the keylime on the bottom and then top it with the lemon filling and finish up with the meingue.

also thank you for the toffee chiffon recipe. it's probably close to what i want.

diggerb

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You're very welcome.

• jillq
    15 years ago

It sounds like this Florida Pie I've been coming across on a lot of food blogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Pie

• whyreliv
    15 years ago

My Sweetheart (Neil) makes the best lemon-meringue pie. He's been making it since he was young. He and his brother kept wanting them and their mom told them to start making them themselves, and whomever made the pie, got half! Long funny stories go along with that. I'm not permitted to make his pie, because that's his claim to fame, although I will say it is VERY similar to ginger st thomas', except he doesn't use food coloring. Heaven forbid I do the meringue. That's a work of art in itself..lol.

What I wanted to suggest is his crust. He makes it with a graham cracker crust and not pastry (I am allowed to make that part). At first I thought he was nuts, but I tell you what... once you've had the pie with a graham crust, you'll wonder why you liked it so much with pastry.

Give it a try. I think you'll be surprised. It is now expected that we show up with his pie to everyone's home we're invited to. While Neil is thrilled about that (you know how men like to strut), it also keeps him from eating half and having to settle for one piece like everyone else. Poor baby. Great having a guy who loves to cook, too, finally.

Let me know what you think! Have a great weekend...