Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Heath Bar Chiffon Pie

Posted by diggerb2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 17:37

My mom made this years ago (the 60's)
I remember her fooling with knox gelatin, egg whites, whipped cream and a custard-- so you got to know she was making a chiffon pie. It went into a regular pastry crust.
and we had to crush heath toffee bars. some of this
was sprinkled onto the crust, some was sprinkled on the top of the pie. but i don't remember what happened to the rest.
it took 6 or 7 candy bars.
does anybody remember this?
I contacted the heath bar people but they don't have a recipe.

thanks
diggerb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Heath Bar Chiffon Pie

Was it similar to this one from Recipelink although this doesn't put any Heath bars directly on the crust?
ENGLISH TOFFEE PIE

1 tablespoon plain, unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, separated*
2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
1/2 pound English toffee, coarsely ground
1 cup heavy cream, divided use
1 (9 inch) baked pastry shell or graham cracker shell (I like the graham cracker shell)

Soften gelatin in cold water 5 minutes.

Scald milk in top part of double boiler; add brown sugar mixed with well-beaten egg yolks; cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat; add gelatin, butter, and vanilla, mixing well; set aside to chill.

When almost stiff, fold in two stiffly beaten egg whites* and half of the English toffee.

Beat 1/2 cup cream until stiff and fold into mixture. Pour filling into pie shell and chill until firm.

When ready to serve, beat remaining 1/2 cup cream until stiff; fold in the remaining egg white, beaten stiff* and spread over pie. Sprinkle with the remaining English toffee and serve at once.

Source: Sunset Cookbook of Favorite Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here