Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiceohio

LOOKING for: cut up fruit

JaniceOhio
20 years ago

I have never taken fruit anywhere and have been asked to take a fresh fruit dish to a shower. I believe they just want cut up fruit. How do I go about this? Do I have to put anything on it to preserve it? Has anyone made chocolate dipped strawberries? Would they be something messy to take?

Comments (5)

• glenda_al
    20 years ago

Fruit Kabobs with Margarita Dip
    Submitted by: Better Homes and Gardens

Makes 1 and 3/4 cups

****This was served at a KT get-together over the weekend, and it was a HIT!!!

Fruit was secured with grapes on each end and was served on a platter with the kabobs stuck onto a halved canteloupe with the skin side up.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Ready in: 20 Minutes

" For an alcohol-free dessert, use orange juice in place of the tequila in the fluffy cream cheese dip. "

Ingredients

1/2 cup dairy sour cream
    1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up and softened
    1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon tequila
    1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    angel and/or pound cake cubes
    assorted fresh fruit (strawberries, cubed melon, and/or seedless red or green grapes) ****we were served strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe, fresh pineapple with an angel food cake cube.

Directions
    1 For margarita dip, place sour cream, cream cheese, powdered sugar, tequila, orange juice concentrate, and lime juice in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover; blend or process until combined. Add whipping cream. Cover; blend or process until fluffy and mixture mounds. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
    2 Arrange small skewers of cake and fruit on a serving platter. Serve with dip.

• glenda_al
    20 years ago

****When you add the angelfood cube, put it between a grape and a strawberry, so it won't soak up juices from the pineapple/cantaloupe

• colleenoz
    20 years ago

No, chocolate dipped strawberries aren't messy. If you want to do just fruit, cut it into slices or wedges which could easily be eaten as finger food. I usually serve them on a platter, attractively fanned out in batches of colour, so I don't do similar coloured fruits next to each other, with a good range of colours. Make sure you have removed any inedible rind and seeds- if I don't use seedless watermelon I usually pick out the seeds after I have sliced it. Don't use fruits which brown on exposure to air, like apples, pears and bananas, though if you are going to eat the fruit soon after preparation you can dip these in water with a little lemon juice and it will slow down the process. Good fruits to use are melons, grapes, berries, oranges, halved plums and apricots, kiwifruit, pineapple, and most tropical fruits. Peaches can be a little messy :-)

• Virginia7074
    20 years ago

I like to cut watermelon, cantalope & honeydew into cubes (more work to take the seeds out of the watermelon, but nicer), strawberries, grapes, kiwi, mango, blueberries (sometimes a few blackberries & raspberries) and fresh pineapple. Sometimes, I use a melon baller. Looks pretty in a crystal punch bowl garnished with mint sprigs.

• eliza_ann
    20 years ago

strawberries look great if you dip some in dark chocolate and some in white chocolate.also they look very pretty if you leave the stems on.When you dip them try to only dip about two thirds of the berry so that you can see the red and green at the end.I did them for my daughters small garden weddingand they looked too pretty to eat.yhey're very easy to do and take no time at all.Something else I made was a watermelon basket filled with assorted fruit cut up.just sprinkle your fruit with lemon juice,and it won't turn brown.