Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: I would have sworn it was in Mom's 'McCall's Book o

chery2
15 years ago

Book of Cakes and Pies," but I can't find it now. It was a recipe for Creme de Menthe cake or Chocolate Creme de Menthe Cake. I REALLY want to make it for Father's Day. Has anyone seen it? Made it?

And by the way, I don't keep heavy whipping cream on hand, mainly b/c it's so expensive, and secondly b/c it expires so quickly. But some recipes say you can use HWC or milk! Does milk whip? Would it if you used 100% milk? How come you can use it some times and not others? Is there something you could ADD to milk to make it do whatever HWC does? Could you use that whipped cream in a can?

To thank you for putting up w/ my dumb questions, here's a recipe from the "McCalls" [no HWC!]that looks handy:

EASY WHITE-FUDGE FROSTING

1/2 c. butter or margarine

1 c. granulated sugar

1/4 c. milk

1 3/4 to 2 c. sifted powdered sugar

1 t. vanilla or 1/2 t. almond extract.

1. Melt butter in small saucepan over med. heat. Remove.

2. Add gran. sugar and milk; stir well.

3. Bring to boil while stirring. Remove from heat; let

cool.

4. With mixer or wooden spoon, beat in 1 3/4 c. powd. sugar into warm mixture, beating well after each addition, until frosting is thick enough to spread and barely holds its shape. [Honest! That's what it says.]

5. (Oh, here we go...) If frosting seems too thin to spread, gradually beat in a little more powd. sugar. Add vanilla.

(and this in all caps...) MAKES ENOUGH TO FROST TOP AND SIDES OF TWO-LAYER CAKE OR 13X9 SHEET CAKE. (Are we supposed to assume the filling b/t layers is the "top" of the bottom layer? It does NOT say "tops.")

And while I'm in the mood to find fault w/recipes, my idea of a "small saucepan" wouldn't be big enough to hold all that. Anyway, it still looks handy, now that you know the possible pitfalls.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, ONE AND ALL!

chery2

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES