Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: cold No-Bake creamy desserts

Why do I always get a sweet tooth when it's too hot to bake?? I'm looking for cold and creamy things. I don't like Cool Whip so would have to substitute something else if a recipe calls for it. I'd love something I could spoon over fresh fruit.

I saw a recipe recently that called for sweetened condensed milk, some other form of milk or cream (sour?), powdered gelatin and crushed pineapple, but misplaced it as soon as I had the ingredients. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• khandi
    16 years ago

I've made this a few times using the ready-made sponge flan

Fruit Flan

1 baked (9-inch) pie or flan shell, OR ready-made sponge flan
    2 cups pastry cream filling
    4 cups strawberries, washed,hulled and sliced (you can use raspberries, blueberries, kiwi, or combination of these fruits)

Pastry cream filling:

½ cup granulated sugar
    3 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/8 tsp salt
    1¾ cups milk
    2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract

Glaze:

1 pouch Knox Unflavoured Gelatin
    ¼ cup cold water
    ¼ cup boiling water
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp honey

Prepare pastry cream: In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat; add vanilla, and cool.

Fill flan shell with pastry cream filling. Arrange strawberries over custard layer and chill.

Prepare glaze: In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; allow to stand until gelatin is softened. Add boiling water; stir constantly until completely dissolved. Stir in juice and honey. Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the consistency of unbeaten egg white. Using a pastry brush, brush the warm glaze over strawberries. Chill until set.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

How about :

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Dips, sweet

Fruit With Cannoli Cream
    ========================
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/3 cup sugar
    ¾ tsp. orange zest
    3 tablespoons orange juice
    2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
    1 apple, cored and cut into 8 wedges
    1 pear, cored and cut into 8 wedges
    1 plum, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
    1 pint strawberries, hulled
    . In a blender or food processor, combine the cheese, sugar, orange peel
    and orange juice and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a
    bowl and fold in 1 Tbs. of the chocolate chips. Place the fruit on a
    platter and spoon the ricotta mixture over it.

or LindaC's :

Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
    ======================
    8 ounces cream cheese
    cup sour cream
    1/4 cup brown sugar ( or to taste)
    1 teaspoon flavoring..venilla, grated lemon, grated orange or anything else you can
    . dream up. (posted by Linda C)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, these all look good! Thanks!
    Darn: I have to leave town tomorrow: but I know what I'm doing when I get back!

• Nancy
    16 years ago

Lemonade Pie
    Graham cracker pie crust
    6 oz can of frozen lemonade
    1 can eagle brand milk
    8 oz of cool whip
    Mix lemonade & eagle brand milk, then fold in the cool whip. Freeze. Very tart, lemony & creamy, exceptionally easy! I keep intending to try it with orange juice.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

Chocolate Mousse Pie
    Crust
    21 chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos)
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
    Mousse
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    3 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream
    1/4 cup sugar
    Chocolate shavings (optional)
    For Crust:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add butter and process until mixture is evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan to form thin crust. Bake crust 5 minutes. Transfer crust to rack and cool completely.
    For Mousse:
    Combine chocolate, vanilla and salt in processor. Bring 1 cup cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. With processor running, gradually pour hot cream through feed tube and process until chocolate is melted and smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
    Beat 2 cups cream and sugar in large bowl to stiff peaks. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour mousse into prepared crust. Chill until set, about 6 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
    Beat remaining 3/4 cup cream in medium bowl to firm peaks. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip. Pipe rosettes of cream around edge of cake. Garnish with chocolate shavings.

NOTE: If you didn't want to make the crust, Oreo Ready Made Crust is a tasty alternative.

• kass1967
    16 years ago

HereÂs a no-bake cheesecake that should come in handy right now with the heat this summer. However, itÂs so delicious, that itÂs good anytime; thatÂs why I have to leave a fork in the pan to always "straighten" the row.

Cheesecake

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 large can evaporated milk (cold to whip; refrigerate the night before)
    1 pkg. (3 oz.) lemon gelatin (dissolve in hot water; let cool, getting thick, but not set, stirring occasionally)
    32 squares crumbled graham crackers
    ½ cup margarine, melted
    1 tblsp. powdered sugar

TO PREPARE CRUST: Use blender, rolling pin or food processor to crumb crackers. Add melted margarine and mix in powdered sugar. Line 2 pie dishes or 9 x 13 pan. Save about 1/3 cup for topping.

TO PREPARE FILLING: Mix sugar and cream cheese. Whip evaporated milk and mix with sugar/cheese mixture a little at a time. Add cooled gelatin in a little stream while folding in.

Fill shell with cream cheese mixture and chill in refrigerator for several hours.

Lemon gelatin always tastes the best, but one can use lime, orange, raspberry, strawberry. I wonder how the pineapple would taste? Anyway, enjoy! Kass in sw MI

• carla35
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe for a fruit dip.

You can probably play around with the proportions until you find your favorite blend and/or even add some whipped cream, a little vanilla extract, or a splash of brandy, amaretto, etc

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Dip

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

This is a relatively oldie recipe but very good & fits your description.

RUSSIAN CREAM
    2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup cold water
    2 cups sour cream

In a small saucepan over medium high heat combine cream & sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3-4 minutes.
    In a glass measuring cup stir together gelatin & water until gelatin has softened. Pour into cream mixture & stir over medium heat until gelatin is fully dissolved (if you rub a bit between your fingers, you shouldn't feel the gelatin grains.) Mix in sour cream. Pour into a serving bowl or mold & refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.~~
    I served it with fresh strawberries but fresh peach slices would be excellent. I think it was also called by some other nationalities, too.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks folks! Bought some fruit and the ingredients, now how many can I try this week...

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Don't remember where I got this recipe, but it is tasty!

MARGARITA FROZEN PARTY PIE

1-1/2 cups crushed pretzels
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup Tequila
    4 Tblsp. Triple Sec liqueur
    1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
    2 cups whipped cream
    food coloring

Mix crushed pretzels, margarine, and sugar. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.

In a bowl mix Tequila, Triple Sec, condensed milk, and lime. Pour half of the mixture in another bowl.

Add strawberries and a few drops of red food coloring to one half. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. To other half, add only a drop or two of yellow food coloring and 1 cup whipped cream.

Spoon into crust, alternating colors. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight. Makes 1 (9-inch) pie.