Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

RECIPE: Orange Meringue Pie

momto4kids
19 years ago

Here's a change from the customary Lemon Meringue Pie. I've noticed if I used fresh squeezed orange juice, it's not as tangy as if I use store-bought "fresh squeezed" from a carton. Even though I KNOW it's orange and not lemon, my brain never seems to get it until I put the bite into my mouth!! If you make it, let me know what you think! Deb

Orange Meringue Pie

1 C sugar

1/3 C flour

1/4 t salt

1 1/2 C orange juice (fresh squeezed, optional)

2 T lemon juice

3 egg yolks

2 T butter

1 baked pie shell

meringue

1. Sift dry ingredients together.

2. Add fruit juices. Cook slowly until thickened, stirring constantly.

3. Add small amount to beaten egg yolks. Mix well. Pour back into saucepan.

4. Return to heat. Cook 2 minutes. Add Butter. Cool.

5. Pour into pie shell.

6. Add meringue.

7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Comments (11)

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I make an orange meringue pie and we all like it. Think it is a bit different than yours-will check the recipe and see.
    RL`

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I goofed-mine is an Orange Chiffon Pie.
    RL`

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Deb, I'm going to try your recipe as is but I'm wondering if the 1 1/2 C of orange could be a combo of orange, pineapple and apricot? This would then be an Ambrosia Pie. I like the recipe to use as a base.

Nancy

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooooooo, Nancy...that sounds good. I've always made it with just orange juice. In the combo, is it equal parts or maybe 1/2 orange and 1/4 the others?

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I'm thinking 1/2 of each, orange, pineapple, apricot. I've done a similar combo to make a fruit dessert with tapioca.

Now don't laugh, but I used to buy Gerber Jr. Fruit dessert just because I liked it myself. So one day I was fooling around and came up with the tapioca idea, your pie recipe made me start thinking. I'll let you know......

Nancy

• colleenoz
    18 years ago

Sometimes I make my lemon meringue pie with lime juice instead of lemon. Lemon meringue pie is DH's favourite but he likes the lime even better :-). You have to add a tiny bit of blue food colouring though, because the natural colour is a little off-putting ;-)
    I've never thought of using orange juice but that could be good too.
    The orange/pineapple/apricot combination sounds good.

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

I think if I can figure out how to make a chocolate crust, this could become a favorite pie! I've been substituting a lot of orange for lemon lately, and yes, it has to be fresh squeezed. Thanks for the recipe, Deb.

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Make a chocolate crust using Oreo Cookie crumbs. They come all crushed in a box and I think there is a recipe on the box...easy

Nancy

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nancy-
    Made it with 1/2 pineapple and 1/2 oragne! WOW!! I like that! Thanks for the pineapple tip! Another delightful surprise when your head keeps telling you it looks like lemon!
    Deb

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I finally got around to trying my idea. I didn't bother with making a crust, too hot to turn the oven on, so I decided to double the recipe and call it a pudding...lol I used an 8 oz can of crushed pineapple, 1 1/4 C orange juice and a cup of apricot nectar. Since I didn't need meringue I used whole eggs (beat well). This stuff is very tasty and needs to be chilled. I love it! Sitting here eating the rest tonight while posting this. Only thing I might try when I make the next batch is to add a little grated orange rind, just for stronger flavor. No whip cream on hand or I would be having some on this right now.

Nancy

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nancy...that sounds great! I always make extr to put in bowls and call it "pudding!" I'll try adding the crushed pineapple. That's a nice change, too.

Thanks. Deb

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County