Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojitoguy

LOOKING for: Desserts/Corn Bread that can be made in a Cast-Iron

gardendoc
13 years ago

Hello All!

I'd like suggestions and recipes please - about desserts that I can make in a Cast-Iron pan. I've been hooked on Cast-Iron since a few years back, and I want to maximize the use of them.

I haven't tried baking desserts in my cast-iron skillet before. I'd like a few suggestions, please!

G'Doc

Comments (3)

• glenda_al
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My MIL always made her pineapple upside down cake in her cast iron skillet. Soooo good. This one is from Recipezaar

Pineapple upside down cake

1/4 cup butter
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained
    1 1/3 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening
    3/4 cup milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg
    maraschino cherry, if desired

Directions
    1Preheat oven to 350F.
    2Melt butter in iron skillet.
    3Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
    4Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter.
    5Place cherries in center of slices.
    6Beat remaining ingredients till well blended.
    7Pour over pineapple in skillet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
    8Remove from oven and turn onto heat-proof plate

• ann_t
    13 years ago

I baked this Upside Down Pineapple cake in a cast iron skillet. This cake is made using fresh pineapple.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
    Source: Thomas Keller

Pan Schmear
    8 Tbsp (1 Stick; 4 oz) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
    1 ½ Tbsp Honey
    ½ tsp Dark Rum
    1 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
    ¼ tsp Vanilla Paste or Pure Vanilla Extract
    Sea Salt

1 Gold (Extra-Sweet) Pineapple

Cake
    1 1/3 Cups Cake Flour
    2 tsp Baking Powder
    8 Tbsp (1 Stick; 4 oz)
    Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
    ½ Cup Plus 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
    ½ tsp Vanilla Paste or Pure Vanilla Extract
    2 Large Eggs
    1 Tbsp Plus 1 tsp Milk

Method

Preheat the oven to 350˚F.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, combine the butter, honey, rum, brown sugar, and vanilla and beat until smooth and well blended. Spread 1/3 cup of the schmear over the bottom of a 9-inch silicone cake pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt. (The remaining schmear can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 1 month; bring to room temperature before using.)

Cut the top and bottom from the pineapple and cut away the peel. Cut the pineapple lengthwise into quarters, and cut off the core from each section. Cut each piece crosswise into ¼-inch thick slices. Beginning at the perimeter of the pan, make an overlapping ring of pineapple slices with the curved side facing out. Make a second ring inside the first one, overlapping the slices in the opposite direction, working toward the center of the pan.

Sift the flour and baking powder together; set aside.

Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle and mix on low speed to combine, then beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until light and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Mix in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the first one is incorporated before adding the second and scraping down the sides as necessary. Beat in the milk. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating until combined.

Pour the batter into the pan and spread over the pineapple. Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan for even browning and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 20 to 40 minutes.

Run a knife around the edges of the cake, invert onto a serving platter, and serve warm. (Leftover can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------

This is my favourite Corn bread recipe.

Corn Bread
    1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    6 tablespoons melted and cooled butter
    8 tablespoons melted and cooled vegetable shortening
    1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat the oven to 400°. sift into a mixing bowl the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Beat the eggs lightly, add the melted butter and shortening, and stir in the 1 1/2 cups of milk. Pour into the bowl of dry ingredients and beat together for about a minute, or until smooth. Do not over beat. Lightly butter an 8 x 12 inch shallow baking pan and pour in the batter. Bake in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the bread comes slightly away from the edge of the pan and is golden brown. If you wish you make bake the cornbread in a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or in muffin tins. Increase the baking time to 45 minutes if using a loaf pan. Also great baked in a cast iron skillet.

• gardendoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All the recipes look scrumptious! Thank you, Glenda! Thank you, Ann! Great photography, too!