Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: Roselin's Rsdpberry Bars

cookingrvc
19 years ago

I just made Roselin's Raspberry bars to bring to the office tomorrow. A tiny taste told me they'll be a hit. Been saving this in my to try pile for a while; glad I did. Easy and fast.

Don't know the original source, but Roselin's who posted it, so I am attaching her name to it.

Here it is again:

Roselin's Raspberry Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 1/2 Cups ½ Cups All-purpose flour

1 C Sugar

1 C. Chopped pecans or walnuts

1 C Butter -- softened

1 Egg

1 Jar raspberry preserves -- (10 oz.)

Grease a 9 x 13" baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves.

Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly, about 2 - 3 minutes.

Reserve 1 ½ cups of crumb mixture.

Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.

Spread preserves to within ½" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture.

Crumble remaining crumb mixture over preserves.

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cool completely and cut into bars.

Comments (23)

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Cookingrvc,
    The source is the American Cancer Society's "VIP For All Seasons Cookbook". I have several of their cookbooks and have been very pleased with every recipe I have tried.
    They are equally as good with other preserves like Apricot or Peach.
    And the recipe only calls for the 21/2c flour (no additional 1/2c).
    Hope you all enjoyed them
    RL`

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Roselin, the 1/2 cup was a typo.

As predicted, they were gone in a flash, with many folks seeking me out to say how good they were.

Sue

Here's the corrected Recipe...
    Raspberry Bars
    Source: American Cancer Society's "VIP For All Seasons Cookbook"

Compliments of Roselin.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
    1 C Sugar
    1 C. Chopped pecans or walnuts
    1 C Butter -- softened
    1 Egg
    1 Jar raspberry preserves -- (10 oz.)

Grease a 9 x 13" baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves.
    Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly, about 2 - 3 minutes.

Reserve 1 ½ cups of crumb mixture.

Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.
    Spread preserves to within ½" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture.
    Crumble remaining crumb mixture over preserves.

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
    Cool completely and cut into bars.

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

That's in my tea party file already.

• glenda_al
    19 years ago

I made these this weekend. Copied from Food Network

Cookie Dough Raspberry Bars
    1 package (18-ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened (recommended: Pillsbury)
    3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
    1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square glass baking dish with enough foil so there is an overhang on 2 sides. Mix cookie dough with lemon extract, kneading to combine. With damp fingers, press 2/3 of dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread jam over dough. Crumble remaining dough evenly over top of jam. Scatter pecans over top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned around edges and cooked through in center. Let cool in pan. Lift edges of foil to remove bars. Cut into 2-inch squares or diagonally into pennant shapes

• weed30 St. Louis
    19 years ago

Um....what temperature do you bake them Roselin? It never says. I'm going to guess 350...making them right now.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

That's right, Weed. It is 350° for 40-50 minutes.
    RL`

• Virginia7074
    19 years ago

Hey - I have that cookbook! I'll have to dig it out for a second look. The bars sound good.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Virginia, it is a great cookbook. I've made a number of recipes from it and all have been excellent.
    RL`

• alice62
    19 years ago

I made Roselin's Raspberry bars for dh to take to work this morning, they were a huge hit! He said they were gone in seconds. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was so easy.
    alice

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Glad to hear you had the same experience I've had to this recipe-it is always a hit. The original recipe calls for an 8 or 9" pan but that was too thick so I started using the 9x13" and they are much better-and make so many more~
    Thanks for the feedback.
    RL`

• weed30 St. Louis
    19 years ago

They were really easy and tasty! The only thing I will do different in the future is add more raspberry jelly. I am a real "goo" person and would like more in these bars :)

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Weed, the recipe calls for raspberry preserves (jam) as opposed to jelly but I've been known to use most of an 18 oz jar!! LOL
    RL`

• weed30 St. Louis
    19 years ago

Ooops, I did use preserves, not jelly :)

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is a recipe that one of the younger techies still talks about. He absolutely loves raspberry anything. I may be too old for him (how did that happen) but he would fix my puter for a bite. Hmmm, how the times have changed.

Sue

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Sue, my Techies love it when I bake for them. Have never made these for them but might just have to do that. Glad to hear they are so popular.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Made these to take in to work yesterday & they were inhaled! Thanks, Roselin.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

You are good to your co-workers, Ginger-glad they liked them.
    RL`

• barbara52
    19 years ago

Finally made these, after months of having them on the "to try" list. They were a big hit! I used an entire 400 gram jar of raspberry jam. I think 10 oz is about 280 grams, so there was PLENTY of filling !

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Glad you liked them, Barbara; my husband likes them with apricot or peach preserves too.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Apricot! Great idea!

• jenn
    17 years ago

I'm going to make these this weekend with raspberry jam.

Some other time I'll make them with apricot jam and add a little almond flavoring to the dough. I'm surprised there's no vanilla in this recipe but from the rave reviews it sounds like it doesn't need it!

• jenn
    17 years ago

These are yummy!! We didn't have any raspberry preserves (I thought we did) so I used a jar of blackberry jam. I used the food processor to mix the dough, and I accidently over-processed it so it wasn't crumbly and I wasn't sure how to measure the 1-1/2 cups to set aside. I did my best and ended up placing tiny pieces of the dough over the top to cover the whole thing and found that I eye-balled the measurement quite well. Hubby and I just shared a few pieces and loved them.

I like to tinker with recipes for cookies so next time I want to try peach preserves with chopped almonds and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top before baking.

Our butter wasn't quite fresh (it's been in the freezer since '03, LOL), but that didn't seem to affect the outcome, at least not noticeably. :-)

Jen

• jenn
    17 years ago

Or, how about orange marmalade with melted dark chocolate drizzled on the top? The dough is delicious, very shortbread like. It's a keeper.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia