Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: What I think is the best lemon meringue pie

Posted by Virginia7074 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 04 at 21:16

I just typed this up for a local paper that's doing a feature on lemon meringue pie. While I had it in my clipboard, I decided to share it with you. I learned to cook out of this cookbook and the recipes in it for baked goods are fantastic. Hope you enjoy it.

Lemon Meringue Pie
(from Farm Journals Country Cookbook, 1959 edition)

1-1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling water
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/3 cup strained lemon juice
1 tablespoons butter
1 (9") baked pie shell
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons

Combine 1-1/4 cups sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in top of double boiler; gradually stir in water. Cook until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes). (*I do this in the microwave, using an 8-cup Pyrex bowl. Cook on high about 4-5 min., then cook and stir in 1 minute increments. You can always add more cooking time, but cant subtract time if you overcook it.)

Beat egg yolks; add zest, juice and butter. Add cooked mixture slowly to egg mixture a couple tablespoons at a time (dont add egg mixture to cooked mixture, or the eggs will cook); return to double boiler (or microwave). Cook about 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly (about 2 3 min. on high in microwave, or until thickened.) Cool slightly; pour into baked pie shell.

Make meringue by beating egg whites until stiff; add 6 tablespoons sugar gradually, beating until mixture is still and glossy. Pile lightly slightly cooled filling, spreading completely to edge of pastry. Bake in slow oven (325) 20 to 25 min., or until lightly browned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: What I think is the best lemon meringue pie

Is that the green cookbook? We used to have that one at home growing up. I bet your pie recipe IS good if it's from there.

o

That's the one, Ginger. We had that one growing up, too, and I found one about 10 years ago in an antique shop. Paid a whole dollar for it, but it was worth way more than that to me.

o

I'll have to check eBay.

o

Virginia...that is a good recipe..good book...the sauce recipe might be good but it calls for too many egg whites.
The orange-carrot cookies are good DH likes them but now you have reminded me about the pie recipe I will have to make it this week. I have had my book for more than 30 yrs.

o

I lucked out on eBay & won that book & the Farm Journal bread book for $9.99.

o

Was out of town over the weekend & just checked back in. Congrats, Ginger, sounds like you god a good buy. Don't think I remember the orange carrot cookies, CLM27, but I'll check them out - they sound good.

o

Oh! I grew up with my mom cooking from that cookbook, too! I'm off to e-bay now! Thanks for the recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here