Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Need help with conversions for Plum Cake

Posted by oreo2363 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 19:33

I don't know if I'm posting in the right spot..Please direct me if I'm not...My German freind makes this wonderful Plum Cake. I have tried to convert the measurments and it was terrible. It is written exactly how she gave it to me. thanks for any help. :o)
vicki

Dough:
200 grams sugar
100 grams butter
50 grams sugar
Mix all ingredients together and chill 1 hour in refrig.
then roll out in a greased round cake pan,(spring form)
make sure to have an edge of 1 1/2 inches.

Filling:
Cook 2 1/2 lbs of plums( can be frozen bag of plums without pits) with 200 grams of sugar for 10 minutes. Then add 1 + 1/2 pkgs of Jell-O instant French vanilla pudding and stir it. cook for 2 minutes. turn the filling onto the dough

then you need German Streusel
70 grams of flour
70 grams of sugar
70 grams finely chopped hazel or walnuts
70 grams butter

Mix all ingredients together until you get small streusels. More flour if too wet. Sprinkle the steusels on the filling and bake the cake for appr. 45 min. at 395F. after cake cools down, decorate it with whipped cream. 200 ml heavy whipped cream with 1 pck of "whip it" from Dr. Oetker. sprinkle with cocoa adn that's it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Need help with conversions for Plum Cake

Under the dough section, shouldn't one of the sugar measurements be for flour, not sugar?

You can convert using the table below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grams

o

OH thanks,
yes the very first one is 200 grams of all Purpose flour

o

You know what I reckon? The recipe has already been converted from imperial to metric - and not done very well at that, adding to the confusion! I do these conversions back and forth all the time, and have done so for well over 40 years, since Australia went metric (I was brought up on British imperial measurements), and Ive never had a failure yet.

Heres my version:

Dough:
210g (7 ounces) flour
110g (3 ounces butter)
60g (2 ounces) sugar

Mix all ingredients together and chill 1 hour in refrig.
then roll out in a greased round cake pan,(spring form)
make sure to have an edge of 1 1/2 inches (3cm).

Filling:
Cook 2 1/2 lbs (1.25kg) of plums( can be frozen bag of plums without pits) with 210 grams (7 ounces) of sugar for 10 minutes. Then add 1 + 1/2 pkgs of Jell-O instant French vanilla pudding and stir it. cook for 2 minutes. turn the filling onto the dough

then you need German Streusel
75g (2 ounces) of flour
75g of sugar
75g finely chopped hazel or walnuts
75g butter

Mix all ingredients together until you get small streusels. More flour if too wet. Sprinkle the steusels on the filling and bake the cake for appr. 45 min. at 190C (395F). after cake cools down, decorate it with whipped cream. 210ml (7 ounces) heavy whipped cream with 1 pck of "whip it" from Dr. Oetker. sprinkle with cocoa adn that's it.

I have no idea what "whip it" from Dr. Oetker might be, but Id ignore it and use 250ml (8 ounces) of whipped cream, sweetened with sugar or honey instead.

Heres a quick rundown of the measurements Ive always found successful. Close enough is good enough.

*1oz = 30g
*1 1/2oz=45g
*2oz = 60g
*2 1/2 oz=75g
*3oz=90g
*4oz=125g (a bit of rounding done at this point!)
*6oz=185g
7oz=210g
8oz=250g
1lb=500g
2lb=1kg

1 teaspoon = 5g

For oven temps, just roughly halve the Fahrenheit measurements and round off the results, using a bit of common sense, and being guided by the measurements given on your oven. Its rough and ready, but it works. Youll never find an oven which will have temperatures like 356F, so it becomes 350F; similarly, you won't find a metric oven with '175C', so it becomes 170C.

350F= 180C
370F= 190C
400F=200C
250C=220-230C

o

WOW! thanks a lot. My friend probably didn't have the recipe down and just guessed at the measurments. Sure makes understanding why mine never turned out, fairly easy now!
I'll try again. It's really a good cake!
vicki

o

Vicki, one important thing to remember is that the Imperial measurements are ounces by WEIGHT, not FLUID ounces (the kind marked on your measuring cup). You will need a scale to measure them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here