Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oreo2363

RECIPE: Need help with conversions for Plum Cake

oreo2363
18 years ago

I don't know if I'm posting in the right spot..Please direct me if I'm not...My German freind makes this wonderful Plum Cake. I have tried to convert the measurments and it was terrible. It is written exactly how she gave it to me. thanks for any help. :o)

vicki

Dough:

200 grams sugar

100 grams butter

50 grams sugar

Mix all ingredients together and chill 1 hour in refrig.

then roll out in a greased round cake pan,(spring form)

make sure to have an edge of 1 1/2 inches.

Filling:

Cook 2 1/2 lbs of plums( can be frozen bag of plums without pits) with 200 grams of sugar for 10 minutes. Then add 1 + 1/2 pkgs of Jell-O instant French vanilla pudding and stir it. cook for 2 minutes. turn the filling onto the dough

then you need German Streusel

70 grams of flour

70 grams of sugar

70 grams finely chopped hazel or walnuts

70 grams butter

Mix all ingredients together until you get small streusels. More flour if too wet. Sprinkle the steusels on the filling and bake the cake for appr. 45 min. at 395F. after cake cools down, decorate it with whipped cream. 200 ml heavy whipped cream with 1 pck of "whip it" from Dr. Oetker. sprinkle with cocoa adn that's it.

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Under the dough section, shouldn't one of the sugar measurements be for flour, not sugar?

You can convert using the table below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grams

• oreo2363
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OH thanks,
    yes the very first one is 200 grams of all Purpose flour

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

You know what I reckon? The recipe has already been converted from imperial to metric - and not done very well at that, adding to the confusion! I do these conversions back and forth all the time, and have done so for well over 40 years, since Australia went metric (I was brought up on British imperial measurements), and IÂve never had a failure yet.

HereÂs my version:

Dough:
    210g (7 ounces) flour
    110g (3 ½ ounces butter)
    60g (2 ounces) sugar

Mix all ingredients together and chill 1 hour in refrig.
    then roll out in a greased round cake pan,(spring form)
    make sure to have an edge of 1 1/2 inches (3cm).

Filling:
    Cook 2 1/2 lbs (1.25kg) of plums( can be frozen bag of plums without pits) with 210 grams (7 ounces) of sugar for 10 minutes. Then add 1 + 1/2 pkgs of Jell-O instant French vanilla pudding and stir it. cook for 2 minutes. turn the filling onto the dough

then you need German Streusel
    75g (2 ½ ounces) of flour
    75g of sugar
    75g finely chopped hazel or walnuts
    75g butter

Mix all ingredients together until you get small streusels. More flour if too wet. Sprinkle the steusels on the filling and bake the cake for appr. 45 min. at 190C (395F). after cake cools down, decorate it with whipped cream. 210ml (7 ounces) heavy whipped cream with 1 pck of "whip it" from Dr. Oetker. sprinkle with cocoa adn that's it.

I have no idea what "whip it" from Dr. Oetker might be, but IÂd ignore it and use 250ml (8 ounces) of whipped cream, sweetened with sugar or honey instead.

HereÂs a quick rundown of the measurements IÂve always found successful. Close enough is good enough.

*1oz = 30g
    *1 1/2oz=45g
    *2oz = 60g
    *2 1/2 oz=75g
    *3oz=90g
    *4oz=125g (a bit of rounding done at this point!)
    *6oz=185g
    7oz=210g
    8oz=250g
    1lb=500g
    2lb=1kg

1 teaspoon = 5g

For oven temps, just roughly halve the Fahrenheit measurements and round off the results, using a bit of common sense, and being guided by the measurements given on your oven. ItÂs rough and ready, but it works. YouÂll never find an oven which will have temperatures like Â356FÂ, so it becomes 350F; similarly, you won't find a metric oven with '175C', so it becomes 170C.

350F= 180C
    370F= 190C
    400F=200C
    250C=220-230C

• oreo2363
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW! thanks a lot. My friend probably didn't have the recipe down and just guessed at the measurments. Sure makes understanding why mine never turned out, fairly easy now!
    I'll try again. It's really a good cake!
    vicki

• colleenoz
    18 years ago

Vicki, one important thing to remember is that the Imperial measurements are ounces by WEIGHT, not FLUID ounces (the kind marked on your measuring cup). You will need a scale to measure them.