Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: What is white bark coating?

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 15:53

Hi,
Is white bark coating just another way of saying white chocolate? At the end of my recipe it says to drizzle chocolate... so I am thinking it is just white chocolate. Also how long would I put timer on microwave if I wanted to melt the chocolate using that method? Thank you.
Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: What is white bark coating?

White bark coating is NOT chocolate....it is cocoa butter, sugar, milk and artificial flavoring....EWWW!
I think melted chocolate chips would be better.
I don't have good luck melting stuff like that in the micro....overdo it one second and it seizes....better to do it over hot water.
Linda C

o

Linda, thanks for that tip re: microwave

o

I can't find the recipe anywhere on the internet i guess you have to order them online.

o

WHITE BARK 2 c sugar,2/3 c milk, 1 Tbs light Karo syrup,1/4 tsp. salt 2 Tbs. butter, 1 tsp.real vanilla extract. Combine sugar,milk,Karo & salt is heavy pan(I use bottom of 4 qt pressure cooker) Cook stirring all the time until sugar is dissolved & mixture comes to a boil. Cook without stirring to soft ball stage. Remove from heat add butter but don't stir. Let cool to lukewarm 110degrees,add vanilla & beat until thick & creamy. Before you pour out you can add 1 c. toasted walnuts or almonds or dried cranberries. Break apart when cool. 1 1/2 lb. Tips, when sugar is dissolved run a damp cloth over a fork around inside to pan just above liquid,so doesn't sugar, Don't move pan while it is cooling, have any nuts ready before you beat the candy. It will get white & sets up fast so have wax-paper laid out away from gas stove(I had wax-paper "travel" about 2 ft & catch fire on my stove- it is made differently than years ago so not safe anywhere near fire. Would be good to put weight on 1 side of it so it couldn't move. Spread out bark & when cool break in pieces. Don't use foil to pour out on(foil continues to cook candy & can ruin toffees,barks & some other types of candy). You could remelt some of this to drizzle over a cake or something if you didn't put anything it it. I've made it for at least 40 yrs.I wrote that it came from a "Candy Cookbook" probably while I was vacationing at relatives somewhere, I love cookbooks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here