Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Help me decorate this cake.

Posted by maryil (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 15:02

I am making a chocolate bundt cake for a friends 50th. birthday. His favorite hobby is fishing. I was hoping to somehow decorate this cake reflecting his hobby or 50th. I need ideas/help, and would appreciate any ideas. I have added a small nosegay of fresh or silk flowers in the center of this cake, with ribbons hanging over the side. Very pretty, but I need a more masculine decoration. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Help me decorate this cake.

I can't decorate a cake to save my soul & the recipe below for decorating with a fishing theme is for cupcakes, not a Bundt cake but you might pick up an idea.

Unless you're wedded to the idea of flowers in the center, would a container of colored Jello in the center work as a "lake" & maybe a fisherman figure on the side would do? With the right icing you could cover the edge of the container in the center.

Hope a good decorator will see this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishing cupcakes

o

You may have some luck picking up some fisherman type cake toppers at a local party supply store. The attached link has some ideas.

ginger's idea sounds fun.

Anything I can think of either seems sort of gross (like a big plastic fish coming from the center) or dangerous (like fish lures and hooks coming from the cake).

There are some "cute" kid fish cake ideas. But they are more along the lines of goldfish and Finding Nemo. Would those be of interest?

Here is a link that might be useful: fishing cake ideas toppers

o

Thank you for the ideas. They are clever! I might be able to come up with something along that line. Thanks!

o

I'm still hoping for a clever decorator to help you out.

o

maryil,

You can get some cute plastic fishing decorations, such as a small pole with attached line and fish, etc. at JoAnn Fabric. I have also seen the min. basket for fish. (can't think what the correct name is). The frosting could be a fluffy type with a bit of blue/green coloring and frost the top of the cake with "waves".

o

How about making the center water made with some icing. Then you could use crumbled vanilla cookies on top for sand and maybe make an icing person sitting with a pole -- or find a little plastic toy man and use a plastic stirrer or something like that for string?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here